Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What year to Buy?????????

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

While this is not new and l am aware that one should buy the newest year that one can afford in the best condition with the lowest miles with no accidents or paint work.

My question is that l have read a C5 market update and it mentioned that by the year 2001 the vette was pretty much dialed in. It was also the year that the new spoke wheels came out.

What l would be looking for is an auto that is completely stock with no modifications at all and it had to be garaged kept with no more then 40,000 miles on the clock.

What is pushing me is the depressed C5 market while l also expect to take a hit on my 96 Lt1 auto. But the trade off in my humble opinion will be worth it.

The difference's between the 99/00 and the 01 is worth the up charge, but the 02 difference is not worth the additional up charge.

And l will not pick one up at a dealer only auction because l want to see where it has been.

If l can find one with an extended warranty from GM even the better.

What do you think? Am l on the right track?

Thanks

Alan

kingman said:
Hi

While this is not new and l am aware that one should buy the newest year that one can afford in the best condition with the lowest miles with no accidents or paint work.

My question is that l have read a C5 market update and it mentioned that by the year 2001 the vette was pretty much dialed in. It was also the year that the new spoke wheels came out.

What l would be looking for is an auto that is completely stock with no modifications at all and it had to be garaged kept with no more then 40,000 miles on the clock.

What is pushing me is the depressed C5 market while l also expect to take a hit on my 96 Lt1 auto. But the trade off in my humble opinion will be worth it.

The difference's between the 99/00 and the 01 is worth the up charge, but the 02 difference is not worth the additional up charge.

And l will not pick one up at a dealer only auction because l want to see where it has been.

Thanks

Alan
Sounds similiar to what I've heard and believe but of course opinions vary wildly on this matter

kingman said:
Hi

Thanks

Alan

The newer spoke wheels came out in 2000, not 2001

There really isn't much of a difference in any of the C5's. The only ones are the wheels, HUD, Active Handling, and the magnetic suspension... all that stuff is just add ons IMO.

My dad has a 1998 Pace Car with minimal problems... the problems he has had are common for all years (like the battery leak problem). If I were in your shoes, I'd disregard the year and buy a well maintained vette that you like and is a good deal.

Find one that floats your boat and grab it. This is one thing that can easily be over analyzed

Vettelt193 said:

There really isn't much of a difference in any of the C5's. The only ones are the wheels, HUD, Active Handling, and the magnetic suspension... all that stuff is just add ons IMO.

My dad has a 1998 Pace Car with minimal problems... the problems he has had are common for all years (like the battery leak problem). If I were in your shoes, I'd disregard the year and buy a well maintained vette that you like and is a good deal.
There was a change in performance from 2000 to 2001. Not so much high end but the torque curve is better and earlier. Also some of the components are different. I wanna say the throttle body is one but I'm not positive on that one.

I've got a 97 6 speed and despite all the old wives tales about first year cars I have had very little trouble with it. I am a firm believer in the harder you run them the better they run. I bought it with 68,000 miles on it and it has over 90,000 on it now. I bounce it off the rev-limiter in 1st and 2nd on a regular basis (where were these back in the sixties) and like the quick stops.
These cars were designed to go fast and be driven, not to sit in a garage.
That being said mine is very unhappy now as we have snow and the roads are poor, its been a week and 2 days since I have last driven it. :cry

The Drakester said:
Find one that floats your boat and grab it. This is one thing that can easily be over analyzed

Yup with mine it was love at first sight.;)

bossvette said:
I've got a 97 6 speed and despite all the old wives tales about first year cars I have had very little trouble with it.

I agree.

In two years-
Power window regulator. Climate control module (display went out). Serpentine belts. Oil and filters.

Oh, I just ordered a new tensioner pulley.

As far as I am concerned... for an 8 year old car... that isn't bad.

Vettelt193 said:

Corvette Model Center
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/

It's time to start my search!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

I really appreciate your opinions and l will keep them in mind while looking. My 96 LT1 l am sure l can sell in a heartbeat because of it's condition but l would love to sell it to a relative or friend first even if l take less.

My wife thinks that l'm crazy for giving up a trouble free car for something that is really unknown. Don't you hate it when your wife makes too much sense!

It will probably only cost me $10,000 or close to it to do this but l feel it's cheaper to make the move then dump money into my vette to upgrade it and then have a modified vette that will bring even less money not being stock.

Alan

Two of the things that you will notice right away are how much easier it is to get in/out and how big the footwells are. The C5 is much stiffer and does not creak and groan like many C4s. It is more refined, but that can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on what you like. There are those who are very loyal to the C4.

As far as which C5, get the newest good example that you can. I had a '97, and it some little annoyances that my 2002 does not. One thing that can be troubling with the C5 is tire noise. Even my Z06 without the EMTs is noisy. I don't mind engine noise. But tire noise gets old. Of course, I will not be selling the Z06 any time soon...

Done deal !!!!!!!

Hi

I was able to sell my C4 to a friend who is a dealer for his wife. I came out very well and his wife is thrilled. It took one phone call.

My new (used) C5 is coming home this Wed; 2002 coupe Torch red like new
all options including HUD z-51 perf rear both tops and to top it off under 12,000 miles.

The downside is that it cost me out of pocket $16,000 more but it also has a GMPP Major Guard warranty until 4/07 zero deduct.

Alan

l will post pic when l get it home.

Good Job, now sit down and start a savings plan for another 10k for when the Mod bug comes to bite ya in da A$$,lol

Have Fun

Is there more information here on this

battery leak problem

which vettelt193 mentioned above?

I did a search and and about 20 threads came back, but nothing specifically about battery leak problem.

I had the opportunity to purchase a low milage (17,000) 2001 coupe that was in absolutely prisitine condition. My fiance wanted me to keep both my C-4 and the new C-5, but after a couple short road trips in the 01, she said sell the C-4, it's obvious that we will be driving the C-5 a lot more.

I agree with everyone else, to buy the best condition car you can afford. I personally like the 01, but that's just me.

Mike

Pseudomind said:

I did a search and and about 20 threads came back, but nothing specifically about battery leak problem.

The factory batteries have had a problem with leakage of battery acid from some type of crack by one or both of the posts. The acid then travels down to the stuff below the battery tray. The most problematic things the acid can attack are a computer module and a wiring harness. The wiring harness also contains some plastic vacuum lines that control the HVAC unit. Here is a link to a discussion of that issue:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67223&highlight=battery+leak

More links:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61394&highlight=battery+leak
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10698&highlight=battery+leak
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33571&highlight=battery+leak
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31218&highlight=battery+leak

I hope that this helps.

Pseudomind said:

Your Corvette is new enough that you have a battery that does not produce the problem. One or more of the links that I posted above have details about when the battery type was changed.

Congrats on the new purchase!! There isn't anything better than shopping for a Corvette!! Don't forget to post the pics!!

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom