Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What's the deal with this 1-4 shift??

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
In the car today I got that annoying 1-4 shift lockout. I don't know what the point is of this. I think the parameters of this are that you have to be accelerating at a slow rate (ie not racing) and its the window after 14 mph. Well, I don't know about your Corvette, but if I go into 4th gear (per my transmission) while going 14 mph, I'm bogging down quite a bit.

Am I missing something with this? I usually try to get my way around this. What was intended to be convenient and economical has turned into a nuisance.

It was GMs way of meeting CAFE standard. There are two ways to overcome it:

nail it in first - the best way to override it

disconnect the sensor - its on the right side of the transmission. Several sulliers have a "kit" which is nothing mare than a male and female plug to keep the open ends of the harness clean.

there is a skip shift kit that eliminates that but for myself I just push it up into 3rd when the skip shift kicks in. I very seldom use 2nd or 4th when driving around town using 1-3-5. Its a habit I got into with the 76 with the TKO plenty of torque to pull 3rd at that speed.
When the solenoid pushes the shift lever over, just push it up into 3rd instead of pulling down into 4th

Lots of times I roll the car a bit and start off in 2nd. You can get so much accelleration, then I jump to 4.

I installed my shift kit today while I had it up on the lift. It took not more than 2 minutes. I'll never go back. I love it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom