Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whatw is this wire hanging from under dash

Heyblue

Corvette
new to me project car. I have no know history. The wire/s is two conductors one green with wht stripe and other wire yellow. they are about 12 gauge. they terminate in a connector which someone put a jumper between the two pins. What is this and why has it been disconnected from somewhere and jumped?
Thanks
whoops 1984

If it's a manual transmission car then check the clutch up by the pivot. I'm not sure the colors but there's a switch on mine that went bad. That switch has to close for the starter to work and if it goes bad or is misadjusted the car won't start. The option is to jumper the wires so the switch is bypassed. I'm guessing there's a similar one on the shifter on an automatic, but I don't know that one.

That could be what was done to yours.

Thanks to posters. I figured it out by your suggestions. It is the "Clutch Safety Switch" circuit. I will need to further diagnose to find out why it is disconnected. Probably the switch or as suggested switch adjustment. REMINDER TO SELF make sure shift in neutral until fixed!

Unless you can find NOS parts, I'm not sure that part is available nowdays. I've looked at time indirectly, I can't get to it without possibly taking out the seat and laying upsidedown.

Hi hcbph. But, unless you are a contortionist, a little person(dwarf)(NO offense intended to anyone), or the girl from the Exorcist movie that spins her head around backwards, removing the seats to gain under dash access for most repair work, is pretty much S.O.P(standard operating procedure.) For me anyway...Cuz I can't do any of the three things mentioned.
The seats are on 4 studs with which on my C4 are 5/16" nuts holding them down. That takes a 1/2" socket.
It also helps to have the vehicle elevated on either stands or a hoist. Pulling the steering wheel can also help depending on what you are doing.
No one ever claimed they were easy! Welcome to Corvette ownership.

Hi hcbph. But, unless you are a contortionist, a little person(dwarf)(NO offense intended to anyone), or the girl from the Exorcist movie that spins her head around backwards, removing the seats to gain under dash access for most repair work, is pretty much S.O.P(standard operating procedure.) For me anyway...Cuz I can't do any of the three things mentioned.
The seats are on 4 studs with which on my C4 are 5/16" nuts holding them down. That takes a 1/2" socket.
It also helps to have the vehicle elevated on either stands or a hoist. Pulling the steering wheel can also help depending on what you are doing.
No one ever claimed they were easy! Welcome to Corvette ownership.

Don

Difficult at best. Unfortunately it's only been the last few years I've been able to do much of anything again having been laid for some time due to a joy riding teenager t-boning us a number of years back. Too much damage to my back to get in there with or without the seat removed so sometime things (like that switch) are either hire it out or don't do it. I enjoy wrenching when and where I can but physical limitations prevent me from doing everything I would like to.

For me, having grown up without a clutch switch and driving without them for over 50 years, I bypassed it on my 86 and don't expect I'll ever be able to get in there and replace it. I also looked at one time, didn't find a replacement so unsure if they're still available or not.

Have a good one.

Paul

I agree Paul. I grew up without a clutch safety switch too. If it was in gear or you didn't depress the clutch while trying to start her up, you found out the "hard way." It was embarrassing. Something you only did once(I hope.) Glad to hear your back is improving where you can even get "in" a Vette(or even better, get out of one.) Stay in touch.

Best Regards, Don

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom