Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheel and Tire conversion

Blookah

Corvette
1994 LT1 Torch Red Coupe
I have a 1994 Corvette Coupe LT1. Prior to that I had a 1989 Coupe. My 89' had 18" wheels with 275/35 ZR18 tires. I kept those wheels when trading up to my 94'. My 94' currently has 275/40 ZR 17's. I want to use the 18" wheels on the 94' so my question is what size of tire would be best to run on the wheels? I'd like something a bit taller to give a better ride but don't know what the parameters are.
Please help.
Thanks,
BG

The 275/35ZR-18 is what I used on my 93', That is about all I could find after weeks of searching the net! Try this little tool I found on a small site. All the way to the bottom of the page--it takes a few seconds to load, then put in your OEM size and just toy with the figures, it will show you all you want to see! Wrenchman
http://www.joby.se/corvette/div/corvette_wheels/

Go to www.tirerack.com and in their tech pages it gives a great description of what all the tire sizes mean and how to convert to tire height and width between different size tires and rims. Great info.

I have a 1994 Corvette Coupe LT1. Prior to that I had a 1989 Coupe. My 89' had 18" wheels with 275/35 ZR18 tires. I kept those wheels when trading up to my 94'. My 94' currently has 275/40 ZR 17's. I want to use the 18" wheels on the 94' so my question is what size of tire would be best to run on the wheels? I'd like something a bit taller to give a better ride but don't know what the parameters are.
Please help.
Thanks,
BG

Lots of people run 275-40-18 (stock base C5 size) on the rear of late C4s . Mine had that when I got it, and I changed to 275-35-18 to go back to the stock diameter and have regretted it ever since. Lousy ride and had terrible tramlining at first that took several alignments before it was figured out.

Given that you are inclined to a taller tire anyway, I'd go with the 275-40 (or 285-40 depending on the tire).

If you don't have the tuning software go to the regional forum on CF and find somebody near you to reprogram the speedometer.

Did you run the 275/40/18's all around or just the rear? If not what did you run on the front?
Thanks,
BG

Did you run 275/40/18's all around and if not what did you run on the front?
BG

Lots of people run 275-40-18 (stock base C5 size) on the rear of late C4s . Mine had that when I got it, and I changed to 275-35-18 to go back to the stock diameter and have regretted it ever since. Lousy ride and had terrible tramlining at first that took several alignments before it was figured out.

Given that you are inclined to a taller tire anyway, I'd go with the 275-40 (or 285-40 depending on the tire).

If you don't have the tuning software go to the regional forum on CF and find somebody near you to reprogram the speedometer.

That is what I use on mine ALL the way around. I like being able to rotate the tires to prolong their life & it feels more balanced in the corners.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom