Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheel cleaning on the inside...

Boeingdriver

Corvette
'96 LT4 Coupe, White/Red - '03 Z06 Black/Torch Red
Can anyone advise me on cleaning/polishing the inside of my OE sawblades?

Here's the situation. My very clean OE sawblades ('96 LT4 coupe w/ 29 k miles) have tarnish and minor pits on the inside surfaces. I took them to a high-pressure car wash using wheel cleaner and got them very clean, but the the discoloration remains. Are the insides clear coated like the outside? They don't seem to be. I've tried simi-chrome polish and Meguiars aluminum and wheel polish without much luck although the Meguiars seems to help some. I was hoping to be able to bring them up to a like-new (or better) appearance on the inside.

Has anyone used a good product that works in this situation?

I was hoping to be able to bring them up to a like-new (or better) appearance on the inside.

i took mine off the car. i used a blend of simple green-bleach and water scrubbed with a scotch brite pad--then i sprayed them with 100% lemon juice and then wiped off with a misting of the blend at the top. 1 coat of cleaner wax and then detail spray wax. they look pretty good but not like new. it took me 6 hours. good luck.

I have to try again to get mine clean, in the spring.

The last time I tried to clean them, I gave up. :mad

[ I was hoping to be able to bring them up to a like-new (or better) appearance on the inside.

i took mine off the car. i used a blend of simple green-bleach and water scrubbed with a scotch brite pad--then i sprayed them with 100% lemon juice and then wiped off with a misting of the blend at the top. 1 coat of cleaner wax and then detail spray wax. they look pretty good but not like new. it took me 6 hours. good luck.[/quote]

Thanks Firstvet. I've got three more wheels to go and I'll give this a try. And just so we all know, we're talking about bleach, simple green, scotch brite etc. on the inside only. None of these things touches the outside, clearcoated surfaces.

I purchased a set of used sawblades for about $250 in good overall condition but they didn't appear to have been cleaned on the inside ever. The insides were completely black with tar, grime and brake dust. I first applied wheel cleaner to the insides and hosed the insides down with a high pressure stream of water at a self serve car wash. I got soaked due to the backsplash because the water bounces back at you when spraying a high pressure stream into the wheels. This helped a little and got rid of the loose stuff. I brought my wheels home and used steel wool (on the insides only!) and mild car wash detergent to get the remainder of the grime off. This removed much of the tar and grime but the insides are still not totally clean, after the steel wool there is still risidual staining which seems to be ingrained into the top layer of the wheels. The insides are difficult to bring back to like new condition due to the texture of the machining, the surface is not perfectly smooth, it is a textured machined finish. I got the wheels to be presentable with about 6 hours of effort. With the grime gone I may give them a second cleaning with the technique mentioned above before applying a cleaner wax.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom