Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheels for a '95

H

Hap

I went to buy ZR1 wheels for my 95 Corvette. I thought I had 11 inch rims in the rear and 9.5s in the front. However, it turns out I have 9.5s in the rear and 8.5s in the front.

So...I have to return the gorgeous rims I bought to the dealer this week. But what size should I order?

In the ZR1 style 9.5s seem to be the rim of choice. Will the 9.5s fit the front OK?

Can the 11 inch rims possibly fit the rear? Would I need to buy 335 series tires? Or will the 285X40's fit? (I don't think so, but I obviously don't know what I'm doing.)

Thanks!

The 11 inch rims (with 315/35) will fit the rear, thats what grand-sports come with. I have 9.5 in the back with 285/40s. So, take two of the rims back, and buy 2 9.5s for the front.....they will fit fine, I know a guy using 9.5s all around.

Like Trance, I also know someone who is using 9.5's on all 4 corners on a '94 convertible. There is no problem with fit.

As a point of interest, all '92s came factory equiped with 9.5's all around, but in '93 that was changed to 8.5's in the front and 9.5's in the back. Supposedly this was done to "improve driveability". :confused. Personally I wish they had just left it alone. :hb

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to try to take the 11s back this morning and order some 9.5s. Otherwise I guess I'll order 315/35s for the rear and see if they'll work. It'll be a tight fit, though. Brake lines and parking brake cables clear the wheel only by about 1/8 of an inch. I'm afraid the tires will rub a cable or something.

Hap

9.5s all around

Just FYI for everyone otherwise not in the known loop. The ZO7 handling package came with 9.5s all around with 275/40 tires. This was the only package from the factory that you could rotate the tires on (albeit same side only). Go with the 9.5 rims all the way around with 275/40s up front and 285/40s in back (or to be able to rotate, 275s all the way around) and you will have a factory equivilent set up. With ZR-1 "A-mold" wheels, the 275/40 package would allow you to rotate your tires as in a "regular" car.

The ZR-1 was 3 inches wider in the back to accomodate the 11 inch rims and 315/35 tires. The Grand Sport had the same wheel set up as the ZR-1, but did not have a wider body. To fit under the narrower body, the GS used wheel flares on the upper portion of the wheel wells on the rear of the car.
Hope this helps :)

:w

Don't ZR-1 and Grand Sport 11" wheels have different back spacing?

Thanks!

Lt1 Vette Pilot...Thanks! That was very helpful.

Good question!

Topless said:
Don't ZR-1 and Grand Sport 11" wheels have different back spacing?

I "believe" they are the same, however don't quote me on that as I've not compared them side by side with a tape measure.

All the aftermarket wheels offered that are of ZR-1 or GS duplicates come with the same backspacing, this leads me to believe the backspacing is the same...but again, I'm not sure of that.

The reason I ask is that I see some of the ZR-1 wheels listed as
17 x 11 x 36mm
17 x 11 x 50mm

And on ebay, people mention the wheels with the "Grand Sport" offset.

;help

Question for HAP...did you used to live in Chicago area?

The ZR-1 11" wheels stick out more than the GS wheels - by about 3/4 inch. If you factory ZR-1 11" wheels, I recommend installing the Grand Sport fender flares to cover the tire/wheel and install 'mud flaps' also. That is what I did. I like the looks. Check out

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=750&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=998

in the members photo gallery. You'll see the ZR-1 rears and the flares.

BTW, the 95 pace car and the 96 Collectors Edition also used the "ZR-1" style wheels. So you can order them in either 8.5, 9.5 or 11 inch widths from Chevy.

How much are they from Chevy? Ive seen them from different places but I never saw how much they cost straight from Chevy. Just wonderin...
Josh

How much are they from Chevy? ..... Just wonderin...

My dealer says they are still available. I asked for the price and got a package deal number of $2075.74 for 2 - 9.5" and 2 - 11" wheels which included my local tax. I didn't ask my guy to break it out for me, so I figure $450ish per 9.5 and $550ish per 11.

I'm trying to sell a set of 4 9.5" ZR-1 wheels for $1000 locally and not getting much interest so far. Anyone on CAC interested?

Why am I selling 4 ZR-1 wheels? Because I have 10 of them!!! 8 in 9.5 and 2 in 11. 4 are on my car, 4 have autocross tires mounted (don't autocross any more) and 2 are laying around for spares.

Re: Good question!

LT1Vettepilot said:
I "believe" they are the same, however don't quote me on that as I've not compared them side by side with a tape measure.

All the aftermarket wheels offered that are of ZR-1 or GS duplicates come with the same backspacing, this leads me to believe the backspacing is the same...but again, I'm not sure of that.

No, the offset is different

Breakdown
ZR-1 rims
17x9.5 56mm offset front
17x11 36mm offset rear

Grand sport black rims
17x9.5 56mm offset front
17x11 50mm offset rear

ZR-1 style
fit 84 -87
17x9.5 38mm front and rear

Re: Re: Good question!

Jeffvette said:
No, the offset is different

Breakdown
ZR-1 rims
17x9.5 56mm offset front
17x11 36mm offset rear

Grand sport black rims
17x9.5 56mm offset front
17x11 50mm offset rear

ZR-1 style
fit 84 -87
17x9.5 38mm front and rear

Jeff's got it. If the car is not a ZR-1 then stick with the Grand Sport offset with 315's in the back. I've seen some LT-1/4 cars that don't have flares but the car is lowered a bit and I think it looks pretty good. The ZR-1 offset looks ridiculous in my opinion.

Jay

The ZR-1 offset looks ridiculous in my opinion.

To each his own.

I like the way my car looks with them and the flares.

Tuna said:
To each his own.

I like the way my car looks with them and the flares.

Didn't mean to insult anyone......Guess I should have stated that I like the way they look with the addition of flares. But without flares they stick out way past the fender wells:)

Jay

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom