Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheels Gone!

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
OK guys, I need your help. I had a thread here last November about my chrome sawblades and how they were starting to pit a bit.

I live on an island off the NC coast, so salt air is an issue, and being in a beach house there is no garage. Well, I can't believe how quickly the wheels went downhill. The finish in some places is almost gone! I don't want to replace with chrome, fearing the same problem.

But is any other finish any better? I am upset about having to pay way over a grand to get new wheels, so if I have to do something I want to do it right. Advice / help greatly appreciated.

Bob

I am sorry to hear about your wheels I also have chrome plated sawblades on my 89 coupe they are three years old and still look like the day I bought them if your wheels pitted that fast from the salt in the air what does your frame and other steel parts on your car look like?
Have you ever looked at the bottomside of your car?

89sleeper said:
...Have you ever looked at the bottomside of your car?...
Yes, quite good. I am not sure if we are dealing with a bad chroming job or general deterioration due to the climate. I don't know how old the sawblades are - according to the VIN I am the 4th owner, but the prior one (only one I know) bought the car with the sawblades on.

Chrome wheels were never an factory option so somebody bought them before you got the car. A chrome plate job is only as good as the prep work that was done before the chrome was applied.

While the climate does play a part, I would bet that there are a number of cars in your area with chrome parts that suffer no ill effects. It sounds like the plating work was not the best in the world.

You could have the chrome removed and then do something like polishing the aluminum but you would have to apply a clearcoat to keep the aluminum from further corrosion. The OEM wheels had painted centers and polished outside edges and the entire wheel was clearcoated for protection against the elements.

If the wheels show signs of corrosion under the plating, it might be worth it to look at other wheels and keep these for winter use or try your hand at refinishing.

c4cruiser said:
...winter use...
What's a "winter"? :D

Seriously, are you saying that chrome, properly taken care of, should last as well as any? If so, I could look at having these re-chromed or a trade-in. I might like another wheel style, but my wife sure does like the chrome sawblades.

Thanks, Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom