Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

When to trade up for Z06?

Z06

Hmm? I actually think the hood of the reular C-6 looks better than the hood of the Z06. :) However I'll have to agree with you on the engine and the carbon fiber. I got the Blackwing CAI, and also added the GM exhaust system it's made by Borla and sounds great at acceleration and is quiet during crusing; my dealer installed both and the warranty is not affected. I get complements on my exhaust all the time. People yell over 'nice pipes'. Your dealer should have them in stock or on display- mine did.;)
Another dealer near me has a 2007 black Z06 for sail with 1200 miles on it and is asking 69 something; not a mark on it. I was tempted but I really love my coup. It runs cooler and sounds better- really. I probably have around 435 horse now and am just fine with that.:beer

I looked into the GM Exhaust and was waiting for someone to give some input on it. I am very interested in getting both those items installed. I am not one to void any warranties by getting crazy with the mods. I like the sound to be low and tough, not loud and rumbly. Is yours low or high pitched loud? GM in stalled your blackwing? It does not void the warranty? Thanks:w:cool

Hmm? I actually think the hood of the reular C-6 looks better than the hood of the Z06. :) However I'll have to agree with you on the engine and the carbon fiber. I got the Blackwing CAI, and also added the GM exhaust system it's made by Borla and sounds great at acceleration and is quiet during crusing; my dealer installed both and the warranty is not affected. I get complements on my exhaust all the time. People yell over 'nice pipes'. Your dealer should have them in stock or on display- mine did.;)
Another dealer near me has a 2007 black Z06 for sail with 1200 miles on it and is asking 69 something; not a mark on it. I was tempted but I really love my coup. It runs cooler and sounds better- really. I probably have around 435 horse now and am just fine with that.:beer

I dont know why, but I thought Corsa did the GM exhaust. Is Borla a replacement for Corsa, or is both available? But I think Corsa was listed as GM approved, not actually branded GM.

How do you find out which parts are GM approved? I guess you can call GM huh? You buy that Z06 yet GEAUX? :cool

GM

I purchased both at my dealership & was told that they were GM approved. Just ask you dealer to put it in writing if you aren't sure. I talked about this before in another post and listed the price I paid. I am very happy with my purchase and as I said before I get complemented all the time from other vehicle owners and other corvette owners alike. It actually sounds better than a Z06 nice and low and there is no reverb while cruising, the mufflers fit horozontilly (one behind the other) and the four chrome tips say corvette on them.:beer

Do you remember what the part #'s were and if you don't mind, how much was it for everything? Thanks Norseman. I have seen the tips on the exhaust you have and they look cool!!!:cool I think what you are describing is exactly what I want...

Here is my original post when I got my mods.

Exhaust
I just had a new exhaust put on 2 weeks ago at my dealer. I wasn't planning on having it installed that day and I just happened to ask the parts manager what he thought of Corsa Touring and he said that he's had several people bring their cars back due to a backfire problem, (even with a X Pipe installed).

He showed me a Chevy approved high performance exhaust in his GM catalog which he said sounds better with no pop-pop sound like Corsa has. Anyway I had it installed and it sounds great, just like a muscle car shood; in 4th gear it's very subdued. It's louder than a Z06 and has 4 chrome tips. Check it out. It was $1030.00 for the exhaust system and $310.00 for the Tip pkg. & $13.20 for misc. hardware, cleaners and chemical waste. Total came to $1581.61.

The part number is 19154780 Muff PKG and a 17801886 Exhaust tip pkg.

I also had a Donaldson Black Wing cold air intake installed; that was $497.06 installed.
I haven't had it dynoed yet but I should be getting about 25 more horse from the exhaust and 10-18 from the intake.:)

If the current Z (GM's #s) goes to 60 in 3.7sec and the 1/4mi in 11.7sec AND the 08 6sp Z51 with the exhaust option goes 0-60 in 4 flat and 12.4sec thru the 1/4 mi, is there much incentive on upgrading?

I think with 1/4 tank of gas or less, exhaust, intake, chip the base 08 could see 3.7-3.8 sec to 60mph or maybe 3.6sec;shrug and 11.9 in the 1/4mi:beer

I would love to pick one of these up in a couple of years........

If the current Z (GM's #s) goes to 60 in 3.7sec and the 1/4mi in 11.7sec AND the 08 6sp Z51 with the exhaust option goes 0-60 in 4 flat and 12.4sec thru the 1/4 mi, is there much incentive on upgrading?
The difference in 12.4 and 11.7 is about 6 car lengths. Is it worth it for the street?
I think with 1/4 tank of gas or less, exhaust, intake, chip the base 08 could see 3.7-3.8 sec to 60mph or maybe 3.6sec;shrug and 11.9 in the 1/4mi:beer
Nope, it won't see 3.7 without a few more mods than what you've listed. (Unless the magical "chip" can give the car a 20mph head start!)
I would love to pick one of these up in a couple of years........
Don't wait too long as we never know when the spigot of "fun cars" will be shut off!

What we do know is that history repeats itself every once in a while...;shrug

Do the corvettes hold trade value? If so, when is a good time to trade in for new one. I have owned a 2007 c6 for 1 month and 10 days and all I can think about is the Z06... What a machine. What is the average length of time to keep a vette before you trade it in? Or should I just pay this one off and buy another one? That's what most people seem to do. I am not rich, so a Z06 is a little out of range but I figure if I drive this one for a while, I could trade it in....

If you are inclined... don't trade up. Mod your way Vette into a Z06 clone. Then, you won't get hit by a trade in price, sales tax, insurance, or dealer fees.

You can start with this... only 13k dollars!

http://www.sdparts.com/product/17802397/LS72006CorvetteCrateEngine70L427CubicInch.aspx

17802397_large.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom