Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where do you get parts?

C

c5vettegrl

My passenger side door control module is bad. It is a very bad module! Won't unlock, won't roll down window, it's just a bad bad module! Bad Module!

I know how to replace it. But. . . (why is there always a but?) I don't know where to get the part!

GM Dealer in town's price: $472

Eckerts: $350

GmDirectParts: $240

Where should I buy the part? Who can I trust!:confused

I'm so confused!

I can do the repair, I'm just agonizing where to get the part! Help a girl out!:w

Please?

Hmmm. Sorry I can't answer with any certainty. But I know my mechanic usually buys parts for my '98 from the local Chevy dealership. I think the dealership is the probably the quickest source and he may get a discount since he buys a lot of parts from them.

If I were doing the repairs myself, I'd consider the time element first. If I was willing to wait a few days for the part to arrive, then I'd consider price, reputation for customer service, warranty... and of course, whether or not they're a supporting vendor or advertiser here. ;)

Although this doesn't answer your question directly, hopefully it will give you some ideas to mull over untill you get more feedback from more members.

Good luck.
:wJane Ann

My chevy dealer is a snake! He told me I had to replace both door control modules. Because, are you ready for this? "They talk to each other with radio waves." WTF? No. I may be a girl, but I do have a brain!

I'm doing the work myself. Waiting isn't a bother. Paying too much or getting a bad part is. I don't have a full day off for a week and half.

I love that you have a good source for parts! Wish I did!

My chevy dealer is a snake! He told me I had to replace both door control modules. Because, are you ready for this? "They talk to each other with radio waves." WTF? No. I may be a girl, but I do have a brain!

I'm doing the work myself. Waiting isn't a bother. Paying too much or getting a bad part is. I don't have a full day off for a week and half.

;LOL;LOL;LOL
Ok,Lets see if I can help,Even though I'm a guy and my wife says I do no think'n with the head on my shoulders!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie :D

Actually,the Lt and Rt door modules do communicate with each other and other components of the vehicle!!And I suppose it is possible that the modules must be replace in pairs!!;shrug;shrug;shrugI've never had to replace one,I've always found another problem and corrected it!!:thumb

1st,How do you know that the module is a Bad,Bad Module and needs to be Spanked??
What are All the symptoms,Have you retrieved the codes from the DIC??

If so,I need them!!:thumb If Not,you need to do so!!:thumb

:D

PS.I get 95% of my parts at a local Chevrolet dealer,I buy $1000 to sometimes $5000 a month so he cut's me a Excellent deal,Besides he's close and I can snatch'em across the counter and Slap'em around a bit if I need too!!!!:L:L:L

Actually,the Lt and Rt door modules do communicate with each other and other components of the vehicle!!

Really? I can see why they would need to communicate with other parts such as security sensors, but why would they need to communicate with each other I wonder? ;shrug

c5vettegrl, I usually get my parts from our local 'vette guy as he can get them cheaper from the suppliers than I can going direct to them....volume I suppose. I think he buys a lot of the parts from Corvette America. At least that seemed to be the case when I had my C4. Haven't needed any work on my C5, so I don'l know what he does for later models.

Corvette America - Corvette Parts and Accessories

I get most of my GM Parts from Tom Henry Racing which is the Internet/aftermarket sales arm of Tom Henry Chevrolet in PA.

In many cases his prices are competitive with GM Parts direct and the shipping is often as reasonable as or less than GM Parts Direct.

You can either go to www.tomhenryracing for more information or just call them at 877.842.4389 and ask for parts.

My passenger side door control module is bad. It is a very bad module! Won't unlock, won't roll down window, it's just a bad bad module! Bad Module!

I know how to replace it. But. . . (why is there always a but?) I don't know where to get the part!

GM Dealer in town's price: $472

Eckerts: $350

GmDirectParts: $240

Where should I buy the part? Who can I trust!:confused

I'm so confused!

I can do the repair, I'm just agonizing where to get the part! Help a girl out!:w

Please?

C5Vettegirl, try this website and see if it works for your problem:thumb:thumb SC:WTT

Regulator USA

al i will say is dont buy anything from napa!!

i have found recently anything i have gotten from them has been pure junk!

i only used them out of convienience but i wont be doing so any more

cheaply made chinese crap!

;LOL;LOL;LOL
Ok,Lets see if I can help,Even though I'm a guy and my wife says I do no think'n with the head on my shoulders!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie :D

Actually,the Lt and Rt door modules do communicate with each other and other components of the vehicle!!And I suppose it is possible that the modules must be replace in pairs!!;shrug;shrug;shrugI've never had to replace one,I've always found another problem and corrected it!!:thumb

1st,How do you know that the module is a Bad,Bad Module and needs to be Spanked??
What are All the symptoms,Have you retrieved the codes from the DIC??

If so,I need them!!:thumb If Not,you need to do so!!:thumb

:D

PS.I get 95% of my parts at a local Chevrolet dealer,I buy $1000 to sometimes $5000 a month so he cut's me a Excellent deal,Besides he's close and I can snatch'em across the counter and Slap'em around a bit if I need too!!!!:L:L:L
It's bad, and yes for the codes. Nothing works. NOTHING. Not unlock. Not window. NOTHING. Not even from the switches on door. Very annoying. I don't look as cool w/top off and windows UP!

I've had a switch go bad in another vehicle and everything worked from drivers seat, not passengers. Now window is up for good. Door stays locked unless I flick it open.

I think the Official Repair Manual said keyfob wirelessly talks to car computer. Car computer talks to doors. Doors communicate via electrical wires. But, I'm a shade tree mechanic and some of the electrical bits are over my head. Not replacing, just understanding.

I live in an itty bitty Texas town and the closest dealership is known (even before downturn) for being a rip off artist. Next closest dealership is a smidge better. After that I'm going into Houston. I don't go to Houston if I don't have to. Trust me. No one should go to Houston if they don't HAVE to.

Thanks for your help and advice! I really appreciate it! I'm scared to DEATH I'm gonna hurt her somehow. Other cars I've wrenched on I just wanted to get running again. Dings and scratches were acceptable. NO longer!

Did you call Corvettes of Huston, I bought stuff from them before and they were reasonable.
Before going on a shopping spree I would recommend you fallow GMJunky's advice and at least check the codes on the DIC. Seams like he is thinking with the right head this time:boogie, you might have a different problem than you think. If you have any codes post them.

I had a recurring problem with the right door control module. had it replaced 5 times before they discovered that the real problem was one of the very fine wires that passes through the cable portal into the door. The wire looked ok from examination but actually had a break. At first every time they replaced the module, the wire would be put back and function but eventually from opening and closing the door, it would bend enough for the bad connection. Eventually it wouldn't connect anymore and that was found when they changed the module and it still didn't work. You might want to do a continuity check on those very fine wires. For mine it was a tan colored wire.

If you want further info feel free to email me, roc@corvettemuseum.org

I don't go to Houston if I don't have to. Trust me. No one should go to Houston if they don't HAVE to.

Hehe...I hear ya on that. I'm originally from Dallas and even we didn't like going to Houston if it wasn't absolutely necessary. And at that, it was a quick as possible pass through Houston to get to Galveston. :D

Before going on a shopping spree I would recommend you fallow GMJunky's advice and at least check the codes on the DIC. Seams like he is thinking with the right head this time:boogie, you might have a different problem than you think. If you have any codes post them.
Your Right!! And most probably is!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
I had a recurring problem with the right door control module. had it replaced 5 times before they discovered that the real problem was one of the very fine wires that passes through the cable portal into the door. The wire looked ok from examination but actually had a break. At first every time they replaced the module, the wire would be put back and function but eventually from opening and closing the door, it would bend enough for the bad connection. Eventually it wouldn't connect anymore and that was found when they changed the module and it still didn't work. You might want to do a continuity check on those very fine wires. For mine it was a tan colored wire.

If you want further info feel free to email me, roc@corvettemuseum.org
Yeah,or maybe more than one,or possibly one or more of several other things!!:thumb:thumb:thumb But she has it under control, so what the heck could I know,I'm a snaky dealer!!!:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Now if you guys will Excuse me,I have a wheel barrow full of "OPeM" to Extract out in the shop!!("O Pe M" Other Peoples Money) :boogie:boogie:boogie

Gotta get some things done to make room for "JimmiJams" car again,some Nimrod backed over the front of it!!!:hb:hb:hb

Later!! :thumb :beer

I drive 1000 miles to have my car serviced by Frontier Motors in Old Fort NC .It's worth the ride.

Awright, Steve... tell the truth... you just go for the Junk's good 'shine. :W

Awright, Steve... tell the truth... you just go for the Junk's good 'shine. :W

Wait a minute, Junk is serving shine!!! Must make an appointment now, my tires are way overdue for air rotation.:boogie:boogie:boogie I'll just have to hurry and beet Steve there :beer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom