Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where else will she leak?

P

page62

I just bought a '79 C3 coupe, and I think she sat a few years. Somebody just replaced the tires, belts, and hoses. In addition, the front calipers appear to be new, as well as the exhaust.

Today, I just worked with a couple of techs to replace the valve cover gaskets and fuel pump (leaking at the seam!)

What else often leaks, goes wrong, etc. etc. when a car that has sat starts to get driven again?

When I got mine it was leaking from the gasket around the neck of the oil pan. It was old and frayed and from the car sitting so low the pan was pretty banged up, so we just replaced the whole thing.

Thanks, Trixie! And I'll add 1 more question to the mix. What weight oil do people use? This is the original 350 engine (matching numbers...yes!). I was thinking about 10w40, given its age and the Texas heat...

A 10w40 or 20w50 should work fine in the Texas heat to maintain its viscosity.

This is a test

I just wanted to see if my photo came up...gotta love those curves!

Looks pretty good, Page.

Guy

Very, very nice lookin', page. Nice curves, love the white :)

:w

Oh...regarding oil leaks, you have covered some of the common oil leak areas. The March 2002 issue of Corvette Fever magazine has an article that covers these additional areas: rear main seal, oil pan, oil fill cover gasket, and PCV valve deflector (not really a leak, but...). Have fun with the Shark!!

Yeah, I can see replacing that pan gasket and seal real soon...

In the meantime, I can suffer through some oil spots!

But what about the water pump? How long before she blows!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom