Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where to find replace for metal line to heater hose?

JohnGrawcock

Corvette
Claret 82, Light Bronze 84, and Black 69 Vert
I was going through the cooling system in the 82 last weekend and found quite a bit of corrosion in the metal water line that is used to route the heater hose from near the water pump around to the back side of the AC compressor bracket. I've been looking for a replacement. So far I've checked with Chevy dealer, Mid America, Eckler's, Year One, and Corvette Central. No luck. Has anyone else ever gone looking for this part?

I was going through the cooling system in the 82 last weekend and found quite a bit of corrosion in the metal water line that is used to route the heater hose from near the water pump around to the back side of the AC compressor bracket. I've been looking for a replacement. So far I've checked with Chevy dealer, Mid America, Eckler's, Year One, and Corvette Central. No luck. Has anyone else ever gone looking for this part?

I had the same issue. I never found a replacement... but I did find a place for the original- the trash! I have a TPI set up and I'm running the lines around the AC brackets.

:L

If you are really serious about keeping it original, you can refurbish the OEM piece. It takes some elbow grease but it is possible. You'll need a barrel brush (gun cleaning kit) that sits on the end of a flexible cable. Attach the end of the cable to a dremel and use a low speed. You should be able to get 99% of the scum out if you work at it.

Or- you could always go to a shop that makes custom HVAC lines (like a Parker store). They could fab one up for you.

L82_TPI_side.jpg

Mine just had a long nipple on it, maybe 3". Didn't have a pipe elbow. Do you have a pic of this thing?

Make your own. You can get things like that at McMaster-Carr and other supply houses... you will need a bender for it.. brake line tools work fine.. or find a good AC fab shop....

its only anitfreeze and water and not a lot of pressure so don't worry about getting the highest psi rating

we make up lots of solid lines for the race car

I'm certainly no fanatic for originality, but I try to keep the original parts when I can. My first thought was to clean it up and reuse it, but it didn't take long to realize the piece was unsound. Considering all the odd-ball restoration parts available for these things I'm surprised it hasn't been reproduced.

I guess I'll route a rubber line directly to the water pump for now and add this to the box of reference parts I keep just in case I ever catch the NCRS bug.

Thanks guys.:upthumbs

I'm certainly no fanatic for originality, but I try to keep the original parts when I can. My first thought was to clean it up and reuse it, but it didn't take long to realize the piece was unsound. Considering all the odd-ball restoration parts available for these things I'm surprised it hasn't been reproduced.

I guess I'll route a rubber line directly to the water pump for now and add this to the box of reference parts I keep just in case I ever catch the NCRS bug.

Thanks guys.:upthumbs

well be careful what kind of line.. you will want it to not collapse and flow well... not sure in the thinking was preventing leaks or not having it touch the engine and melt as to why they used tubing in the first place

its not that hard to fab a tube and have it look quite "original"

i think that is why no one has made the part... too easy to replace

Paragon has a similar tube that was used on '63-'65 Corvettes with A/C to route the heater hose under the compressor bracket - their #1068; might work for you. :)

http://www.corvette-paragon.com
Thanks for trying. but it doesn't look like it would work. :upthumbs
I think 63-65 had a smaller diameter compressor.

Here's a picture of the original line propped up in approximately the same orientation that it would be installed. It is supposed to run under the compressor, up its back side, and then point toward the firewall. The spot welded mounting tab shares a bolt with the lower compressor bracket.

I was able to route a heater hose under the compressor. The arc is smooth enough and the hose appears to be out of harms way. It should work but I definitely see why they had the hard line. If I can't find the part I'll probably end up making one this winter when I do the heater core.

If you have a business in your town that makes up hydraulic hoses, call them and ask if they also can bend up steel tubing. If they do then bring your old tube to them and ask if they can replicate yours. I did this on my 82 but I went one step further and had the shop around here bend mine in stainless steel. It will NEVER give me problems again!

I agree with Jim, get a new one bent at a muffler shop, I bought the right size tubing and a shop bent it for me to match my old one.
Good Luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom