Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where to get a glass roof?

S

Skant

I don't think I want to deal with a used roof off of ebay or anything like that. I'm not trying to low ball it.

I'd like to get a new one. Or maybe a professional refurbished one at worst.

I see a web site for Melrose T-top. Are they any good? They offer one for $1250 and one for $895. The only difference they list is the presence of the DOT# on the lens. Is that really it? Is there a $350 difference for just an inscribed number on a corner somewhere, or am I misunderstanding and there are more differences than that?

Other places? Is an aftermarket manufacturered one a bad idea? Can you just buy OEM ones from the GM dealership? What are the options here?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

- Skant

The astro tops one looks like it may be pretty good. Searching the archives, I see only positive comments on them. Anyone have any trouble with ones from astro tops?

Initially I was going to get blue, but I see they have smoke tinted ones, too. Considering the black and silver of the CE, smoke might fit better than blue... thoughts?

I wonder how much they charge if you don't trade in. I certainly want to keep my fiberglass top, too.

- Skant

I have seen ads in the magazines that places get about $500 with your exchange.
They will send you one right away from their stock and yours will be re-glassed and put on the shelf for the next guy.
At least this is how I understand it.

I wonder how much they charge if you don't trade in. I certainly want to keep my fiberglass top, too.
Not sure why your solid top has anything to do with sending in your glass one?

My father in law recently had his replaced and it was $1200-1300 direct from the GM dealer so this first place you went to seems ????

One other option:
Not sure how other states work but in MA, comprehensive insurance covers all glass with no deductable.
Might want to contact them first, can't hurt !

Oh. I only have the solid top right now. I don't have a glass top at all. I had thought that core exchange meant any roof. Not that I would have given up my solid top anyway.

So if they are still available from the dealership, I wonder how the actual GM glass tops compare to the aftermarket ones like astro tops?

- Skant

Ahhh, gotcha.
When you mentioned core return I figured you had a broken one to start with:duh

I just bought a refurished top from Thompson Astro Tops ( www.astrorops.com ) for my 87. I traded mine in because it was cracked. they were great to deal with , the top came packaged well, fit well, looks great. The cost was has follows----- $450 for the top---$200 deposit ( until old one sent in)----my cost shipping and handling to Arkansas $45---they deducted $35 per side because my outer top weatherstipping was shot---it cost $13 to UPS the old top back---total$578. much cheaper than $1200 for a GM replacement. I am very pleased with it. Jack

sorry my fingers don't always type what I tell them to----www.astrotops.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom