Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which C4 to Buy?

Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
Hey guys-

I have gotten the bug to get a C4. I've owned straight axle cars, midyears, and sharks, but nothing newer than an '81.
I came close to buying a '93 Anniv. Edition a couple of years ago, but the deal fell through. Lately, I have been checking out '90-'92 ZR1s. Now I am getting equally intrigued by the '96 LT4 cars. Without being too biased, if you had your choice between the ZR1 and an LT4 car, which would choose and why? I'm just looking for some logical pros and cons, and a bit of prediction on future value wouldn't hurt, either.

Thanks-Rich

personaly i would go with the lt-4 just for the fact its newer and its going be easier and cheeper to work on than the zr-1

The ZR1 definately has the "cool and unique" factor going for it...but it will also be more expensive to keep maintained and repaired when something breaks. Me personally I enjoy driving too much to own a ZR1...it's just too valuable to drive alot. I would go with the LT4....unless of course I could afford both! :D

Bill

I'd have to agree with the above comments. The LT4 is the last of the C4's, so all the bugs have been worked out, so they're reliable and rattle-free. There are plenty of them out there with pretty low miles.

JCS44
LT4 Vert, Blk/Blk

MidShark,

Two things would concern me if considering a ZR-1.
1. Finding a competent Corvette mechanic that knows how to service your KOTH.
2. Major engine malfunctions. Heads for the Z are in the $5,400 dollar range (per side) according to Corvette Fever. But I’ve read and heard from Z owners that it’s a reliable engine.

Aside from the body, windshield, engine and wheels, the ZR-1 is standard C4 fare, so not much to worry about there, ie. If the Bose amps decide to offer up their souls, you’ll be able to find repalcement parts.

As far as future value prediction... that’s a loaded question:
Rare is bandied about frequently when it comes to Corvettes. A ZL-1 is rare, a L-88 is rare, a ’63 Z06 is rare. A ’96 Collectors Edition is not rare, too many of them. If you maintain it to show car standards and keep the mileage low, you will not loose your money. A gauge to go by is current values of Corvette Collector Editions from the past. The ’78, ’82, ’88, and the ’93. The only Collector Editions that are going to maintain their value are ones that have extreme low miles, say under 10-15,000 miles. (A ’95 ZR-1 with Dunn heads may be interesting).

I own a LT4 coupe (unmodified) and love it to death, turns 13.2 @ 107 religiously, on GSC’s to boot! I’ve always felt the ZR-1 is the nicest proportioned C4, the way the back flares out to cover the larger wheels always catches my eye. Not taking into consideration the B2K Callaway option, the ZR-1 is The King of C4s, its everything the C4 was meant to be.

If you have a local Vette tech that knows Z’s, I’d go for a Z. If not, the LT4 is a wild ride for not a lot of money.

Just my humble opinion.

B17Crew
:w

ZR-1 Vettes have the same problems as other Corvettes the same age. Finding some unique ZR-1 parts may present a challenge in the future, but I decided it was worth the risk. Check out www.zr1netregistry.com for more info on the reliability of the LT5. I decided to get a ZR-1 because of the reliablility of the LT5.

There is nothing wrong with any of the C4's. I considered an LT4. The numbers aren't too far off of a ZR-1 and there are many parts available. It really boils down to what YOU want to spend and what you are going to use it for.

Good Luck in your search and keep us posted!

Jim

With a Hot Cam and long tube headers and a cat back on a LT4 you will have ZR1 HP

Did you ever look into the Callaway Twin Turbo's (RPO B2K from 1987-1991) ?

-Luigi
:cool

PICT0102.jpg

Thanks, guys, for your insights. I don't think I could go too far wrong with either car. I do love the hunt!

Luigi-
I hadn't thought about a Callaway- I'll have to do some research!

Thanks- Rich

MidShark said:
Thanks, guys, for your insights. I don't think I could go too far wrong with either car. I do love the hunt!

Luigi-
I hadn't thought about a Callaway- I'll have to do some research!

Thanks- Rich
This is an LT4 forum and I'm sure we are all alittle biased. I agree you cant go wrong w/ either. Both fine machines. If I were looking it would come down to the nicest one for the money. Good luck! Guy

There is one thing that can be said about an ZR1 LT5 that can't be said about the others, the engine was not put in a truck or passenger car or offered in a crate. If it boils down to you needing an item like replacement heads or such for an LT5 then it is by choice or because you damaged it. The engine is not called bullet proof for nothing.
Koolaid117 you are carrying my Florida plate. Mines a red 412 "JIMS ZR1"

I have a 94 LT1 modfield to a LT4 plus. It is a convertible and I have have modifield it three time. I moved from Chicago and the Vette Club out here is just socializres and not interested in the quarter mile as I was. I am only considering selling mt 15,000 mile beauty. I ahve a long list of goodies I have done to the car. My best ET before my new heads, .30 over bore, etx. was 11.92 @ 117 MPH. I am sure if I was back in the midwest I would be in the 11.80's. By the way I am a 63 year old grandfather. My email is sarv68@aol.com.

movn94, no worries, we understand what you’re saying.

B17Crew
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom