Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which device do you use to prop the hatch open?

Which hatch prop do you use?

• Attaches with targa top tool

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Pretzel/bent attachment

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

froggy47

Corvette
Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
One bolts on using the targa top ratchet, the other has a couple of pretzel/bent pieces - don't know how that goes on.

Which do you prefer/use & why?

Thanks!

I use the bolt on one because I found a furum member selling one at a good price. I like it. I've seen the other one on a website, and I think it connects differently but I don't recall how. The one I have is very solid and I like it. The exhaust sound great when it's open:D Hope this helps ya:beer

I use the bolt on device. It seems very secure and I don't have any fear that it would work it's way off while going down the road. I haven't used the "pretzel" so I can't make a comparison.

If I was looking for a new one, I would go with the same style but I'd be sure to get one that works with the wrench used for the top. Mine came with it's own wrench that's a different size than the top bolts.

Jeff

I got a trunk opening device from a caddy and am in the process of adapting it to the vette. Then all I have to do is hit the switch and it will open the hatch, but not all the way. Or hit the regular switch to open it all the way.
This way you have the best of both worlds, you can do the hatch vent or open it. And there is nothing you have to remove or replace when you want flow through air.
I got the idea after watching the boss close his trunk...just down till it grabbed it then it pulled it in the rest of the way. The open and close solenoid is the same as the vette, the difference is the little motor that raises the latch up and down. By using a bit of creative wiring and all those years of engineering I can make it go up or down using a switch.
More to come along with pics for those interested....

I have been using the device that fastens with the targa-top tool, and liked it a lot. Recently though, the set screw that tightens on the "finger" part of the latch stripped out. I don't think I was over doing it, but maybe I was.

Anyway, eventually I'll get another one of the same variety.

ttt

EZ Vent - another style

Hi Rob - just noticed the opinion pole on hatch vents. The CorvetteGadgetMan style of hatch vent is different from your user pole styles. There are a lot of them out there being used now. Thought I should mention this to you. Quite a few have switched over to the simple design of the EZ Vent. C5 folk are now using this style too.

As you will recall, the EZ Vent style of hatch vent requires no tools, is made of steel, compact, and installs in seconds - very EZ. Word of mouth referrals continue to be the key to their popularity. Thought I'd share this with you Rob.

C4 Ruby Gal

I saw it, but I diden't like the look of those thumb screws. It seems like it would still require a pair of pliers or adjustable wrench to tighten enough to be secure at 75 -85 mph.

Over that speed (crusing) speed I'm not sure I'd trust any of them.

Has anyone gone over 85 with a hatch vent installed?

I've got the little twisty kind for my hatch and I like it very much. Easy to use and NO tools. Have I gone over 85 with it on........No . I agree with froggy47, I don't think I would trust them either. Also something about maybe cracking glass if hitting large bump or something?????:confused

I have the one that uses the T40 screws, like the top. It works very well for highway cruising, but I get losts of squeaks and rattles if driven on rough roads with it installed.

I have the twist on hatch vent and I really like it. No tools needed. It goes on or comes off very quick and easy.

I made one for my 91 the other month. Cost $0 & 30 minutes.
Took an old rubber elastic strap 'S' hook. Rebent it so the bigger end goes into latch, smaller end in the glass latch and bent it so it is only open a little over an 1 inch. Then took allen bolt and placed it in switch to turn off light, with pin from the top fiting 'tight' in the allen head bolt. (Bolt was an old GM caliper bolt) Does not move up or down. Then took two little pieces of wood cut in a wedge shape. Place those on each side about 2-3 inchs from front of window and push them up tight to keep the sides from moving. The window has very little up/down or side to side movement. There is however a little rattle noise coming from what I believe is the rear defroster connecters.
Getting the allen head bolt the right length took several attempts
to get a tight fit. Also putting a little tape around & in the bolt head eliminated any metal to metal noise.
Once done, it takes a minute to install and no tools required.

Did you also realize, that when using a hatch vent, because of the change in rear aerodynamics, it creates more downforce, thus improving your handing!!!:eyerole

FX GS.....didn't know that . Course I don't know much anyhow:confused I also want to thank you for taking the time to show me your sweet ride at Carlisle. What a beauty! Still can't get over how you fit that little red box down in the front left corner and it looks like it was meant to be there. Hope to see you down the road again sometime. :beer

Eckler's c4 page 28 shows 2, ventmaster, and hatch vent

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom