Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which model year??

Chrisr

Corvette
'07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert
Hi All !!
Fairly new to the forum, but really enjoying it!

I'm going to be in the market for a C5, preferably a convertible. My question is this: is there better model years than others in the C5 family, or are they all pretty much excellent cars??

Thanks in advance!!

Chris R.

All are pretty good IMO. Buy the newest model year that you can afford. I'm happy with my 99,but if I had the bucks it would have been 00-04.

I'd agree with Dale. I'm looking for another one though. This time, I'll make sure that it has active handling, HUD, and definately the Z51 package.

My '97 has none of them and I wish that it did.

I really had not thought about the Z51 until I drove one. Thats an excellent recommendation, my 99 has it, and any to follow will too.

Each year there were minor improvements in the C5 so buy the newest one you can afford.

Smart Choice!!!!!!!!

Hi

Pick up a magazine called "Magazine Corvette". This is a bi-monthly mag on corvettes and the recent issue with a yellow C6 on the cover has an interesting article on comparing the 97 thru the 04.

It is a must for you to read.

Alan

p.s. Good luck they are all solid GT's and if you want a 6spd you must check out the clutch ( very expensive to fix).

Chris,
I've read discussions here about how the early C5's sometimes had an oil consumption issue. I have an '03, and I've had no such issues. Not to say that an early C5 isn't a good thing- with the right maintenance, it'll last a long, long time. I just like the subtle changes they made in the later years.

Just remember to wave!
:w

-Patrick

From what I've read the LS1 engines did not have any oil issues, only the LS6 in the early ZO6's. The first ZO6 came on line in 2001.

Hi Chris,

I noticed you currently have a Mercedes ... nice car!!! I have an 88 300E and have 350K miles on it and still going strong ..very dependable vehicle.

Anyways ... C5 are also great sports cars, I have a 2001 and have been great and dependable. Just like veryone had said, if you can afford the lastest model ... go for it. This is also the right time to consider a C5 since the C6's are out ... prices should be very much in your favor if you hold your cards right. Good luck and let us know as soon as you pick it up.

Have a great day.

Dan :w ---> you will soon be doing the vette wave!!!:D

I know this much so far:
I want a C5 convertible, and the newest year I can afford (I'd love to get a 50th anniversay edition, love the color combo!!) with fairly low mileage. My original goal was to have one in the spring of '05, but I think I may start seriously shopping right after the holidays. It's all hinged on how much I get for my Harley when I sell it. I going on the presumption that the mileage factor should be 10K or less a year. Is this a reasonable guideline??

DanHammer, I bought the Benz new in '01 and aside from a few little bugs that had to be tweeked out, the car owes me nothing so far. I've got 46K on it and I'm sure it's not even broken in yet. The ONLY complaint I have (and it's a minor one) is that I wish there were a little more room inside.

Oh yeah, I want to thank you all for your advise. I feel as if I'm getting started on the right foot at this site!!! Thanks again!!!

Buy the newest model year that you can afford

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom