Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which Tire

C

c4ever

It's time to go tire shopping for the 82. I'm running Eagles 255/60/15. I'm thinking of the firehawk ss20. I put the 5000 Dunlops on the 85 and love them but I don't think there is a UP summer tire in this size. Anyone have some good stories. I'm not a goodyear fan but in this type tire maybe they are worth a look.

:argue

c4ever,

I have BFG radial T/A's on my 81 in 255/60/15. Good ride, good bite. I'll definately buy another set when the time comes. You'll have some money left too since they are a lot better buy than either the Firestone or Goodyear.

c4ever said:
I'm thinking of the firehawk ss20.

I have SS20's on two of my cars and I love them. I ordered them from Tire Rack and had them in two days. They stick like glue on wet roads and look really nice. Oh yeah, they are rated very well and aren't expensive.

The Tire Rack really IS good with their deliveries, and I'm not just saying that because they're listed here, I just believe in giving credit where due. ;)

_ken :w

Just ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle GTII's for my '73 (255's). I really am a die hard BFG fan, but I really like the look (both the Goodyear logo and tread pattern) of the Eagle's better. Goodyears are normally stickier than the BFG's but dont last as long. The T/A's are S rated and the Eagle's are T rated, if that matters to you.
My reasoning here is that I dont drive it every day, so longevity is not that big of an issue. I like the look of the Firehawk, but I hate Firestone (the company). The last set of Firehawk's I bought (granted a long time ago) whined like an off-road truck tire.
I dont think you could go wrong with either the T/A Radials or the Eagle GTII's. I also would agree that the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) normally have the best deals. The BFG's are only $65 a tire.
Good luck

I have the Firestone SS20 for a year now. I am very satisfied with them.The local Firestone store met the price of Tire Rack although they did have to order 255/60/15) which was only a weeks wait.

Re: Re: Re: Which Tire

Racer78 said:
Then you have to go somewhere to get them mounted and balanced?

Yeah, but I don't let any tire shops put the Vette up anyhow. I hauled all ten (5 old on the rims & 5 new) over to NTB and had them mounted and balanced for $80.

- Eric

They come ready to bolt on your car if you order wheels too Keith. :L

_ken :w

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll go with the BFG. Speed rating not as important to me as it was on the 85. Hopefully it's not a noisy tire. I've gone to TireRack numerous times but co-ordinating the mounting and balancing is a hassel and I prefer high speed balance on the car. Ordered the KYB shocks, what the heck, rides getting a little soft:eek might as well go the extra mile.
I'll let you know how the set up feels next week.

Restless,
Did you get the KYB Gas-A-Just? I just ordered these for my '73. Got a great deal from Summit, fronts and rears for $110.

C4ever,
My Goodyear 235 70 15's wore out so I ordered BFG 255 60 15's Radial TA'S , on sale from sears. Took about a week to get them here. I took my wheels down and they mounted and balanced for $10 ea.
I have them sitting in the garage waiting to go on when I complete some other work. They Sure are Purty:)
TomC

Keith,
Possibly today, If not then tomorrow according to Summit which is only 300mi. or so from my doorstep:w
TomC

Check out Kuhmo tires, they are highly rated and dirt cheap.

hijinx,
Sure did. Heard good things about the KYB and can't beat the price. Can't wait to get the new set-up on the 82. I'll keep you posted.

Restless,
I think that you will be happy with your choice of BFG's. The T/A tread pattern is very quiet, I don't think that you will hear them at all. Last May I bought mine from a local tire dealer for $75 mounted and balanced. It pays to shop, I saw as much as ten bucks a tire difference between dealers.

Dale,
Thanks for the input. I'll try Discount, they have taken care of me in the past. $75 sounds like a great price, cost me twice that for rubber on the 85. I'll let you know how they feel.

Restless

Tire Rack is the ONLY place to buy tires and rims.

Discount Tire, if you press them, will match the Tire Rack's price of $65 a tire for BFG's. However, do not let them pop you for shipping. Tell them that if you bought from the Rack you would not have to pay tax. That balances the cost of the shipping by a long shot. They always try to pop you for both. You may have to shop around at different Discount Tire locations, but they will do it. In the Dallas area I have had great luck with the one off I35 in Lewisville.

Racer78 said:
Tom,

Cool, I got a Summitt catalog in the mail, nice stuff. Their online catalog is handy too.

Keith :w

I bought a trick kit from them for my holley last week. Ordered it from their online catalog. Received verification of the order and of the shipping in the email by the end of the day. I was impressed.

OK, after talking so much about getting Goodyear's, I ended up with a set of BFG 255's too. They fit great and I have not noticed any rubbing so far. Got a screaming deal from Discount Tire. They took my old Goodyear ST's in trade for $20 per tire. That got the new BFG 255's down to $59 per tire. I got out, mount, balance and free replacement warranty for $355. Not bad if I do say so myself. Can't wait to really test them out and get some new pictures with them and the new rear leaf setup. Overall stance is much improved.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom