Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! whine coming from differential?

bravo94

Corvette
1994 aqua marine blue cpe
;helpI just purchased a 94 coup, six speed. (My first corvette!) The car only has 8000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. It has a whine in the differential (my diagnosis) at speeds over 65. It does it in 4th, 5th and 6th. Noise goes away when I let off. Also notice a slight clank after letting off and then accelerate. Talked with a chevy mechanic and he said it sounded like pinion gears worn or not adjusted properly. He said with that low of mileage it was likely an adjustment problem. I read on some of the posts about changing oil in differential to Dextron LS gear oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Go to your Chevy dealer and get a bottle of limited slip additive. It is made special for the corvette. Put it in and do some figure 8's in a parking lot. It costs about 10 bucks...a lot cheaper than tearing the diff down.

;helpI just purchased a 94 coup, six speed. (My first corvette!) The car only has 8000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. It has a whine in the differential (my diagnosis) at speeds over 65. It does it in 4th, 5th and 6th. Noise goes away when I let off. Also notice a slight clank after letting off and then accelerate. Talked with a chevy mechanic and he said it sounded like pinion gears worn or not adjusted properly. He said with that low of mileage it was likely an adjustment problem. I read on some of the posts about changing oil in differential to Dextron LS gear oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

let the man check the ring gear...it seems unlikely that a low milage car would have a problem like that..though
have you stressed it.?
if not ..do so..lol..the diff is probably just froze up you need to break it loose
im not joken...put some pressure on it see whats what..

Go to your Chevy dealer and get a bottle of limited slip additive...........a lot cheaper than tearing the diff down.

The additive is for the posi clutches which are not working when driving in a straight line so they are not the cause of the whine. Lack of LSD additive makes the clutches chatter when going around corners.
I would be getting someone who knows what they are doing to at least confirm where the noise is coming from before $$ damage is done,
Also notice a slight clank after letting off and then accelerate.

At 8K your car should have no wear ,but things screw up if left sitting; lube dries up , etc. Clank in driveline is typical of bad uni joints in the driveshaft or halfshafts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom