Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who can afford to restore this?

Larry, John,

It isn't the person that sells the car that he has restored over X number of years that is making the killings, its the dealers, middlemen, ect that own the car for a short time and sell that are making the money. Did you see the Nassau blue '66 L-36 at Carlsile this year? The guy sold it to PT for $35K, sold the car later in the weekend for $50K, and just washed it.

You can never get back your labor cost unless you are "paying" yourself a penny and hour.

Tom

It isn't the person that sells the car that he has restored over X number of years that is making the killings, its the dealers, middlemen

TOM

You are correct and I do stand corrected.

The guy sold it to PT for $35K, sold the car later in the weekend for $50K

I realley hope the fellow who sold the car to PT was not aware of that.Me personally would be very angry at my self for a long time for that deal.It might not hurt as much if they took it to there shop and did some corrections to it.But wright there at the fair grounds would have made me ILL and ANGRY.

You can never get back your labor cost unless you are "paying" yourself a penny and hour.

Boy that one really hurts Tom,It really cuts me right down to the bone.but it is true and what I am pointing out.Me personally when I restore a car I restore it,Not a paint can resto.I have done several car's (Only one vette so far) And I have never made a killing on any of my cars.Alot of folks who bought them paid what seemed a high price for the car.But they ended up with a HIGH quaility car needing nothing.Any car I have sold was only sold to make room for a new project.I play with cars for the hobby and working on cars keeps me out of trouble.

THANKS AGAIN FOR POINTING THAT OUT TO ME

My MOTTO:

Buy high, throw a ton of money into it...and sell LOW!

It always works for me!!!!!!

Really, I lose my shirt on everything I own.

However, on the flip side, the hours and hours of hands on work, laying awake at night plotting my next move...drifting off in a day dream during long boring meetings at the office of how I plan to thread the next bolt.......all of this is priceless.

Problably the most exciting part of any project is the "FIRST TIME" you get to roll it out in the sunshine with the new paint, trim, and engine thumping. Nobody can buy that kind of thrill...even if there is nobody around to see your maiden voyage.

To me it was, is, and will be the journey that turns me on. The destination is just a resting point while you plot your next move.

Hey..anybody want to buy a Killer 69???? I got the itch for something else!

Where's you rArt Bell time travel machine when you need it?

The only way you can cut a profit on these cars is to have purchased one way back when they were cheap. I bought my '59 for $1000. Bought a lot of parts back then too. It was actually too much but it was soooo much fun to drive and I was young and in love (with old Corvettes). I passed on a $700 '57 that needed too much work and a $900. complete unhit '54 that hadn't run for several years. To pay $2000. for a solid axle you had better be getting a really nice car. A friend bought a near perfect origional '60 from Ed Thiebold for $2100. We couldn't believe he paid that much money for a base motor 3 speed car. The 2 guys I hung around with both bought '61-62s for $850. The '61 had a wrist pin knock but was a 2 top car with ugly green paint. The '62 was an all origional black/red 2 top 340 horse with badly checked paint. I think he sold that for $2600. after stripping and new black laquer.

I swapped in a passenger car 265 in a red '55 origional 3 speed car in '75. The car was straight and had the hardtop. I took out a '61 270/283 but left the '61 4 speed in the car. It had only been painted once and was as straight as they come. Nice interior too. The guy I did the work for wanted $3600. for it.

It was a different time for sure.There wasn't that many of us wanting these cars and the people that could afford to restore them were into other things. Some would set in yards for sell til they sunk in the dirt. Now many of us older guys can afford one and there is more demand than there are cars available. A project '61 for $16,000. is probably less than the sum of it's parts. One below $10,000 that was fairly complete would be a rare find today. This won't change in the future either.

I would either piece together a body from parts sourced from dealers like Mary Jo Rohner or consider a repop body. There really isn't any sense in buying more than you need for your project.

Tom

I noticed the highest bid when I looked was by vettedoc. Is that the guy from CAC with the white C4 vert?

However, on the flip side, the hours and hours of hands on work, laying awake at night plotting my next move...drifting off in a day dream during long boring meetings at the office of how I plan to thread the next bolt.......all of this is priceless.

HOW TRUE THIS IS .

I could not of said this better.

Your entire post really described it perfectly.And when I say it I mean my entire life with car's I have said it before I have more fun with the journey of building the car then the actuall use of it.

My 66 is a thrill to drive.The noise.the feel,The power,I am sure you guys know what I am saying.But when it 100% complete Its not quite as fun for me.

Beside my 67 deville My 66 is the longest I have owned a collector car since being complete.Normally for me I sell my collector car a season after completeing it.And normally its sold at a car show because some one has made me an offer I cant refuse. I never even had a for sale sign in the cars

I have had several offers on my caddy that I should not of refused but all in the presence of my 7 year old daughter who then explains that we cant sell it because its our only 4 seat convertable and thats the car that she is going to drive to away from the church when she gets married.And what are we going to take to granpas house on Chistmas eve.

And I think I will never sell my 66 because I could not afford to purchase another one to replace it.

Chris again thanks for sharing. Your description is perfect. It is me to a T.

After reading all the threads to the original post I can't remember what the original subject was.??? Anyway I don't think you restore a Vette to make a profit. You do it because it is a passion. There are some side benefits that are priceless though. Don't underestimate the therapeutic valve. Think of all the money you saved by not having to go to a "shrink" instead. :hb ;LOL It is also a hobby you can share to varing degrees with spouses, sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandchildren etc. They will always remember that old Vette you had and will share the memories. I don't think you will lose money unless you get carried away and even if you do get carried away if it is what you really want to do then maybe it still isn't a loss. If you buy it just for the profit potential then maybe you can be a loser at some point.

studiog said:
After reading all the threads to the original post I can't remember what the original subject was.??? Anyway I don't think you restore a Vette to make a profit. You do it because it is a passion. There are some side benefits that are priceless though. Don't underestimate the therapeutic valve. Think of all the money you saved by not having to go to a "shrink" instead. :hb ;LOL It is also a hobby you can share to varing degrees with spouses, sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandchildren etc. They will always remember that old Vette you had and will share the memories. I don't think you will lose money unless you get carried away and even if you do get carried away if it is what you really want to do then maybe it still isn't a loss. If you buy it just for the profit potential then maybe you can be a loser at some point.

Okay, studiog........we're on the same wavelength. 10-4?
:D

OK so this is another ebay car I was following.Actually I treid to SNIPE this and for some reason my snipper bid never hit( I porbabley did it wong) any ways for some reason I think the pricing on this car is more in line with what a car should go for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446375353&category=6168

any ways I may of had this one had I just bid on it regularly instead of trying to snipe it.

If you dont know what sniping is and you purchase parts on ebay contact me and Ill save you alot of money

I think you were lucky that you missed this one. I wouldn't touch that '61 titled as a '62 without checking the serial number on the frame. Something smells like fish here.

Tom

Tom Bryant said:
I think you were lucky that you missed this one. I wouldn't touch that '61 titled as a '62 without checking the serial number on the frame. Something smells like fish here.

Tom

Curious car. 59-60 front end and cove area; 62 door panels, 61-62 rear end.

IH2LOSE said:
Please explain

Well as was just said, it looks like a mixed bag of parts. The doors and front end are not '62, has a '58-'60 grille and front fiberglass; who knows?

It's possible that it is a '62 that was blasted in the front and got a '58-'60 front clip and doors. Since the serial number plate is on the column it would stay a '62 legally. I really can't imagine why anyone would change all of the outer fiberglass from the rear quarters forward unless it was damaged. I 'm guessing it was hit in the front and they found the '58-'60 front clip and then also added the doors to match the front fenders. It would take a lot to make it a '62 appearing car again. It would be easier to put '61 trim on the front and go for a '61 look.

Tom

Well I definately thought this was a car for me I will email you c1 guys next one I am watching.I thought it was perfect for my project because of the motor and frame.

Thanks again I thought this was a bargin compared to the one I originally posted about

My first Corvette was a 1960 that had a run in with a snow fence shortly after the origional owner purchased it. After sitting for a few years it was repaired with a lite-weight (so called drag race) front end piece some time around 1964-5 shortly before I bought it.
I remember being dissapointed that on the title it only said "1960 Cheverolet 2-door" and not Corvette.;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom