Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who else make Extended Fenders other then Corvette City?

Wilkinshc

Corvette
1965 Coupe
I still like the looks of the fenders but will not spend a penny to keep them in business, anyone else sell similiar fenders?

Thanks
Chuck

Chuck,

As far as I know, there are only two firms making the wide fenders for our mid-years and Corvette City is not one of them. Steffens does not make the fenders he sells, nor does he own the molds. All fenders that are purchased from him are made in Colorado by a firm called C.F. Maier and here is their web page

http://www.cfmaier.com/profile/profile.htm

These fenders are slightly wider then those that are used by "Paul Newman Restorations ", however those distributed by " Newman ", although slightly narrower ( I believe the total increase is about 1.5" ) has the fiberglass ledge at the rear that is used to attach the rear bumpers already molded in.

Some time ago while surfing the web I was able to find out who was the " Newman " supplier, but for the life of me I have not as yet been able to put my finger on it. I will keep digging around, and if I find it I will post it here for you.

Worst case scenario, if you were to get in touch with " Newman " and asked them politely, they might even release the name of their fender supplier. With a little imagination, you might also even incite them to offer the information to you, if you know what I mean. :chuckle

Stepinwolf

Stepinwolf,

Thanks for the info, as always you are the man.

Thanks
Chuck

Well, cfmaier does make them but Corvette City/ Corvette Masters owns the molds so they can not sell them.

I have a call into Newman Car Creations and they make the back for sure but I am waiting on a call to find out on the fronts. I will post when I know.

Chuck

Newman only sells the rears.

I think I will start looking into finding someone to make molds for me. I would actually like the rears to come out more in the rear to protect from rock chips. As in Rich's:

http://www.onr.com/user/richb/rich66/bodyworkfeb272004/index.html

How bout you Stepinwolf? Ready to get into the fender business?

Just a thought, I would be your first customer. :D

Chuck

Newman only sells the rears.

I think I will start looking into finding someone to make molds for me. I would actually like the rears to come out more in the rear to protect from rock chips. As in Rich's:

http://www.onr.com/user/richb/rich66/bodyworkfeb272004/index.html

How bout you Stepinwolf? Ready to get into the fender business?

Just a thought, I would be your first customer. :D

Chuck

I'm sorry to hear about the molds being owned by Steffen's. I had been told more then once in the past that they were definitely not his.

Nothing would please me more then making my own, but for now I have too much going on to even think about it.

However were I to engage in this type of venture, I would start by using a better quality gel coat, then I would mold the front parking light into the front fender, and lastly the rear bumper ledge ( for the lack of a better word ) would be an integral part of the rear quarter panel.

While on the subject of making them a little better, the rear quarter itself would not need to be enlarged at the bottom to keep the stones away. All that would be needed would be to make an additionnel mold for a new wider inner fender brace ( the one at the rear of the tire ) that would spread the bottom section of the fender outwards. Best of two worlds.

I know of a small firm, a little ways out of town who do excellent small scale work in fiberglass molds and then knocking out the parts. No promises since it could be months before I get a chance to meet up with him, but I will definitely run it across him, you never know, it might turn into something

regards
Stepinwolf

Extended Fender sources

Try the following, 1 of 2 resources I saved for a future C2 project (if/when I finish my 59 hybrid project!).
GTS Customs
Greg Thurmond
495 Easy Street Unit B
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Tel: 805-582-0276 Fax: 805-582-0276

C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59

Try the following, 1 of 2 resources I saved for a future C2 project (if/when I finish my 59 hybrid project!).
GTS Customs
Greg Thurmond
495 Easy Street Unit B
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Tel: 805-582-0276 Fax: 805-582-0276

C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59

Joseph,

Thanks for the advice, GTS Customs and Newman Creations are the only two I found that make them but they only offer the rear and not the front. So I am looking into having molds made with the changes Stepinwolf had recommended. If I can get them put together I will offer them to others at cost.

Wish me luck. :D

Chuck

I am newly registered to the forum but have been reading it for several months. I started reading it because an Internet search brought up the forum concerning wide fenders for C2 Corvettes. I think I have read every article email and opinion on wide fenders for mid year Corvettes And only found one positive article about Corvette city in Denver Colorado. The 65 roadster that recently found me was a mismatch of old parts so I was not concerned about modifying it. I made up my mind I was going to change the fenders on this particular car and the only ones I could find that I like the looks of and were made for front and rear were from Corvette city. All the Internet bad mouthing I had been reading about Gary and his company, Corvettes city made me extremely apprehensive about dealing with him. I finally began an ongoing conversation with Gary that lasted a month or so and decided to take a chance with him, Corvette city and his fenders.
I did as much research as I could, I even contacted the company that actually lays up the fiberglass in his molds, they had nothing but praise for Gary.
I did go ahead and prepay Gary for the fenders and he assured me they would be done in one week. Gary called me in approximately 5 days to inform me that the fenders were ready so the following weekend I drove from Albuquerque to Denver to pick them up. I could not have been any happier with Gary's professionalism and the quality of his fenders. On the Saturday that I was at Corvette city I had the opportunity to speak to a gentleman who was in the middle of a nut and bolt restoration of a 1963 Coupe Being performed at Corvette city. The quality of the work I saw was impeccable and the customer who was obviously spending a lot of money on this car could not of been happier with Gary, the work or the timeliness of the project.
We all know that the Internet is a great place for people to vent their frustration and in doing so damage businesses and people's reputations. I would like to highly recommend Gary and Corvette city in Denver Colorado if any of you are thinking about wide fenders for your mid year Corvette. I have been self-employed in the automotive industry in Albuquerque New Mexico since 1980 and would be very happy to speak to anyone personally if they have questions concerning my experience with Corvette city in Denver.
Sincerely Karl Moser

Karl,

I am glad you had a good experience, but I was not just venting. My experience was extremely bad. I live in the Albuquerue area and would love to check out your project sometime. Looked you up and see you have a car dealership, might stop by sometime and see if your car is around.

P.S. I am Self Employed and know what a bad recommendation means and do not take it lightly.

Would love to meet another corvette enthusiast. :beer

Chuck

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom