Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who has converted the Garage Door to a "high lift"?

Rain

Corvette
2000 Coupe 6 speed
Had read in this forum of a few of you making sure you garage door's runners/guides ran up very close to the top of your garage.

How did you acomplish this?
Standard Garage door kit but bought a few extra pieces of straight guide?

Thanks for any insight on this.

We move into the new house in about 2 weeks and still have time to modify the garage .

Rain

THANKS! I knew that I had read it somewhere..
great memory ya have there!

Dropped him an email.
Thanks again
Rain

I just had "longer legs" installed - instead of the vertical track being 8 ft tall, it is 9 ft tall (both include the radius height)

The doors are 8 ft tall and ceiling is 10 ft tall - had to leave a bit of room for opener motors

Hope this helps - I can get u a pic if needed...

The problem with moving the tracks up is that the springs and drums really need to be changed since the door will travel upwards for a longer distance before turning horizontal. I found the tracks to be the eaisest part of the project, because you will need a door company calculate the proper spring rate and the type of drums necessary as well as fabricate new cables. I found this to be an incredibly difficult process as most door companies just don't want to mess with something like this which is a lot of trouble for little profit for them. The few companies that showed any intrest at all, wanted to do the job for me turnkey for about $400 a door! Just keep hunting, and you will find someone who will probably be willing to help you out. You will need to weigh the door with no counterblance on it so they will know how to calculate the springs and drums. To accomplish this, put a bathroom scale under the door and take a 1/2" bar and gently wind the spring with the door sitting on the scale. When the cables go a little slack, have a helper read the scale.
Regards, John McGraw

Thanks you guys. Have taken notes and will talk to the builder. Might end up being one of those items that gets sidelined for now.
Still need to pick out paint for the floor in the garage though.

Appreciate your insight and experiences!
Rain
The Weekend UNDER THE HOOD project

Thanks John!

I have wanted to have my small door follow the sloped roofline. I need to move the gas supply line first.

Door companies have told me my idea was impossible and now I understand why they said that.

I want to bring my '55 F-100 project home for the its 'new' Vette engine and BMW self leveling suspension, etc. etc. It'll just fit, above the Vette, if the door goes skyward.

(Really wanted a Chevy P/U when I was shopping, but this one was cheap and available.) Don't hate me. I promise Chevy power.
:w mike:v

You CAN make a door follow the sloped roof line, you will just need to find a company that wants to mess with it! This type of installation has been done many times, but is not cheap due to the custom tracks.
Regards, John McGraw

Here's an installation with doors that follow a sloped ceiling:

2002228145643-5-Steve5.jpg

My garage door guy had no problem doing the "high-lift" conversion; added the extra 18'x 24" top door section to get the opener lift/pull geometry correct, got the stronger torsion springs he needed, and two guys did it in one day. He's done it many times before, so he didn't have to "learn on the job". :D

Rain,

You can see from John's photo that it really isn't too difficult to do. It just requires the installer to do a little more than simply taking the parts out of the boxes and bolting them together. I've talked to the people that installed my doors about raising the tracks and they say no problem, whenever I'm ready give them a call.

John,

Is that yellow early '70s a new addition? I like the little red German compact too.

Btw Mike, I like Effys. Got a custom truck project of my own, (69 C10 stepside).

Tom

Yes, my builder talked to the installer today.
They still have to install the cables, motor and springs. SO he is gona give us a quote on doing the hi lift version.
If its under 500$, im sold.

Be nice to be able to put a lift in it within the next couple of years when we pick up the next vette!

Thanks everyone
Rain

Tom Bryant said:
John,

Is that yellow early '70s a new addition? I like the little red German compact too.

Tom

Tom - that's not my garage - belongs to a friend of mine in Houston; just posted it to show an example of how "sloped -ceiling" doors are installed.
:beer

what's that RED thing?

and why doesn't the nose slant?

Thanks Chris
Got the pic.
Looks fine to me!

Should hear back from my builder in a day or so.
Granite got installed today. holes drilled so plumber can come Wed. and install rest of it.
Electricty on today. as is the AC! (thank GOD)

Keep you all posted on the results of the Garage!

Rain

Re: what's that RED thing?

WhalePirot said:
and why doesn't the nose slant?

It's a Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo RSR race car - not street-legal or licensed; factory-built strictly for track events.

Re: Re: what's that RED thing?

JohnZ said:
It's a Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo RSR race car - not street-legal or licensed; factory-built strictly for track events.

then wouldn't it be pointless to own???

Re: Re: what's that RED thing?

JohnZ said:

I just noticed the number on the door. Does he do any vintage racing? There were a few RSRs at Mid-Ohio Sunday.

Tom

Re: Re: Re: what's that RED thing?

corvettecrazy said:
then wouldn't it be pointless to own???
Because he can... ;)

Depends on how much time you spend on the track. And how much expendible income you have. ;)

Leon

Re: Re: Re: Re: what's that RED thing?

Gorgon said:
Because he can... ;)

Depends on how much time you spend on the track. And how much expendible income you have. ;)

Leon

Yup, and he has plenty of both :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom