Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

who has installed the Myers IFS to their C1 and what went wrong and right?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I know my front steering gear box on the '60 is bad and needs to be either rebuilt, replaced or go for the entire front end to be replaced.....I figure putting a Myers front end after you get done with everything is about $4k (am I right or wrong here?).....so as I look at it, I wonder what what the issues might be with the Myers bolt in front IFS.....so any comments would be appreciated.......

Jim Meyers front end

I bought one, have got it about halfway put together. Now I'm in the shutdown mode here at work and I ain't too keen on wrenching when I get home! Anyway...it's a nice unit, a little intimadating to see all the parts in the all spread out but they, Jim Meyers, are very supportive with my questions. With the Ididit painted column it will be around 4,000 bucks, or about 2 months in the old folks home is the way Im justifying it. So, it's nice, coil overs, bolt in instaulation, a little cutting of the fiberglass. Oh yea it comes with the dual master and all the set up too. You can opt out for just the brackets, and use a camaro front end doner, but all of that stuff is rusted to crap up here in N.E. Wisconsin so I bought the tubular a arms, and their spindles and rotors. I should have it done in about a month.

Thanks for that feedback, kabong. I've often wondered how the fit went with those front ends. One always has to take the magazine articles with a grain of salt; it's good to hear from someone with personal experience who's willing to share. :CAC

I read somewhere that the only revision that needed to be done was welding a bracket on to support the steering column. The original would have to be replaced by an Ididit or Flaming River column as I recall. Otherwise it is supposed to be a bolt on procedure. This is the first I've heard of any fiberglas cutting.

I sent an e-mail to the address listed on one of their ads inquiring about the cost as I was considering this upgrade as next winter's project but I didn't get any response. Thanks for cluing me in as to what the cost would be.

Jim Meyers front end

Hers's the link http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/
They got back to me right away...Email that is. YES, there is a bracket you have to weld in when it's done, and a few other things, but from what I've been hearing, it's a great set up, to drive. Over on Corvette forum there is a guy named Muncieman that put one in...he may have more insight

Pictures

I hope these pictures of the meyer set up on a bare frame ..help and show up!!!

47IMG0251-med.JPG

hope this is not annoying

have a couple other shots... seems like a solid set-up

47IMG024-med.JPG

Last one

here's a distant shot of it.. they are 1/2 inch shorter then stock so you can run wider tires on it or in my case the craggar ss with the disc.. this was taken at a local shop here in Long island.. the car is not mine.. hope the person who's car it is does not mind.. but i thought it would be helpful to everyone
47IMG026-med.JPG

thanks for posting the great pics.
I don't know who's car frame or seats they are but I wouldn't like the idea of the whole rightside assembly and frame sitting on the seats like that if they were mine!

Is there anything different with the motor mounts or anything else like that? I didn't know about cutting the fiberglass either.....where do you have to cut?, how much do you have to cut? do they give you a template to use so you cut the right amount? what do you use to cut with? do you have to reinforce at all after you cut? YIKES!!!

cutting the fiberglass

firstgear said:
Is there anything different with the motor mounts or anything else like that? I didn't know about cutting the fiberglass either.....where do you have to cut?, how much do you have to cut? do they give you a template to use so you cut the right amount? what do you use to cut with? do you have to reinforce at all after you cut? YIKES!!!

I haven't been there yet...so I can't tell you for sure. One thing I do know after being in the car/motorcycle hobby for the last 35 years...there are always surprises on these projects, and they are never "a piece of cake" like they all tell you, A "piece of cake" to me is when it is delivered by the 22 year old blonde gal filling in for the UPS driver, it falls off the truck, bounces into my garage and instauls itself, and she says "cool", lets do lunch!

OK, don't worry about the motor mounts, the stock 15" wheels will fit, and the brakes all bolt in....maybe have to cut one brake line. It's suppose to be "alighnment shop friendly" Get on line and ask them...they'll send you some info, and answer all your questions.

Barry,

If you look at the first picture you can see that the frame is not actually sitting on the seats. But if it was it would probably be because the shop owner was P___ed about the guy having dropped his frame off in what appears to be the shopkeepers office! :D

yes, i suppose you are right,but the perspective of the shot makes it look as if it's sitting on the seats in the last picture.

frame in person

I saw the frame and meyer set-up pictured above in person about a month ago.. front end was VERY solid.. this thing looked like it was built for drag racing... question was can the c-1 chevy ten bolt rear hold up to a 400 block or 383 stroker with this set-up in the front.. I can tell you meyer did a nice job and it looked like it was built well. there is no question the front of this meyer set up lookes like it was built for a big block

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom