Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who has this on their garage floor?

S

SLICKMAN

I think I'm going to get this for my garage floor. It's about the best thing I can think of or find. I thought about getting the garage floor paint but, it's too much money and this stuff I can pick up and take with me and its easy to clear.

What do you guys think? Grage floor covering

I'd have to see one of those in action before I'd bite. The first two things that come to mind are:

1. Looks like it would be a b__ch to roll around a floor jack on.

2. Know how you like to reach under there, release the jackstand locks, and just slide them out from under your car before you drop her down (of course I'm not talking autos other than vettes here)? Wonder how jackstands will "slide" on that puppy?

3. What would the weight of a car on jack stands do to the material? If it is cushy, would it hold up?

Good thoughts, I did not think of that... I guess if I was going to work on the Vette, I would have to roll up the floor cover and then setup the jack stands and all. That would take care of the problem.

<<(of course I'm not talking autos other than vettes here)>>

I've just got to start proofreading my stuff more.........I meant to say "..of course I'm talking autos other than vettes here"

Well, I hate to rain on a good parade, but wouldn't it be difficult to just roll up. I'll bet they recommend some type of double-face tape or something to hold her down. That could be a pain.

Actually, the double face tape is and option and the weight of this stuff should be enough to keep it from moving around or curling up. If not, I’m sure I can come up with something at the garage door opening to hold it down and also make it removable.

I have three of them on my garage floor, if you go to my site and click on webcam you can get a quick glimpse. they work great, but are a pain with a floor jack and jack stands. If you try and use the stands it will cut a slice in it where the stands are. to solve this problem I use 12x12 steel plates to set the jackstands on. it does not crush the grooves and looks the same when there removed. I used them all winter long, when my "Z" was in and out of the garage, snow, rain,salt it really helped to keep the garage floor clean as everything stayed right on the mat. To clean them I just vaccum then use a mop, nothing sticks to them. you don't need anything to hold them down as they weigh around 100 lbs a piece and have never slipped out of place and never curled up. Not sure how they stand up in cold temps as I have a heated garage, best floor covering I've seen for garages

Hey,

Garage what's that? I've spent three years in a drive way. Just kidding, but in TX its just hot. Good thing is I work on my car year round.

Mike

paintdaddy said:
All I could see was you sitting on the couch drinking beer and eatin chips.:D So basically would ya say that they are mainly made for car storage more than car servicing?:w

I wish I had time to sit out there and drink beer :beer

I use them for both. I do oil changes, radiator work, brakes etc. and have had one of the cars up on all four jack stands working on them, never had a problem at all. After cleaning they look as good as the day I installed them. You can roll them up and hose them off, but I find it's easier just to use a wet mop to clean them off

Does a mechanics creeper roll on it easy?Would a car on wheel dollies roll on it?Thats probably a dumb question but I had to ask.I like the idea of hosing them off but I just have a feeling they would limit me.:w

paintdaddy said:
Does a mechanics creeper roll on it easy?Would a car on wheel dollies roll on it?Thats probably a dumb question but I had to ask.I like the idea of hosing them off but I just have a feeling they would limit me.:w

they do have some limitations, you can't use a creeper or or car dollies the grooves in the mat prohibit this. even a floor jack I have to use a steel plate for some situations. however in my situation with a wood floor the benefits of not have have fluids on the floor out weight the limitations of it. You have to judge in your own situtation with flooring or what type of work you'll be doing if this product is right for your application. I do know that they make the same mats without out the grooving from another manufacturer, but it won't trap the fluids like mine do and I needed that the most. I can say that if I had a concrete floor I would not go with any type of mat but would just use epoxy floor paint :)

the 84 "Z that I am working on I moved to the lower level of my garage that does have and untreated concrete floor that I don't care if gas, oil, tranny fluids spill onto and it's easy to use engine hoists, tranny jack and creepers on so that floor will not get a mat

I thought about using the epoxy floor paint but, it looked like it was going to be more money than going with the floor mat. I wanted to keep the dust down over just a concrete floor. This mat looks to be much cheeper than the paint route. The paint I understand is like $100 a gal and I would need 2 gal along with the cost to prep the floor. I think I came up with a csot of about $400.. The floor mat is a total of $250, no brainer....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom