Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who has XM satellite radio?

XM radio install options

Future -

There are several/many options available to you regarding the installation of XM radio. Initially, you have two decisions to make:

First: Is the install for a coupe, FRC, or convertible?
Second: Do you want to keep your AC/Delco radio head, or change?

Depending on your decisions, you will have other option choices to make. Fun, fun, fun . . .

I have installed XM in my 2000 convertible using the stock AC/Delco head. I really like the system - especially the choices in jazz, decades (50's-60's-70's . . . I'm a dinosaur), and NASCAR!

If you need pictures or other options/opinions - just shout!

BigByrd
Y2k Navy vert

:)

Lenny,

Why does the body style make a difference? How much did you spend? Did you do the install yourself? I don't know too much about XM but I have been interested.

Scott

I would be curious as to where you would put the antenne on the convertable being the antennie is just plain ugly.

Man! The day after Memorial Day is hectic! Sorry for the delay - but I'll try to answer your questions:

LabattMan
Coupes and FRC's have more exposed glass area than do verts. Since the antenna has to 'look at the sky', more available areas 'under glass' are found in Coupes/FRC. These allow more and varied antenna placement. I had little/no choice.

Cost is 'relative' to what you're doing. My install utilized the stock AC/Delco radio head. Therefore, I only had to buy the Pioneer 'receiver' ($199 on current sale), and the TERK antenna ($39 on sale). Program subscription is about $10/mth.

Now, if you want to purchase a new radio head - like the Alpine which is XM-ready, that will set you back about $400. Now add to that the labor of modifying your dash . . . that can add up. In addition you will have to buy an antenna, and don't forget programming.

Future Vetter
Here is what I did in my convertible (a coupe/FRC could be different):
I put the Pioneer 'head' in the rear center stowage compartment. It is small, light, and velco's nicely to the floor carpet. In additon, this area provides access to good 'grounds' and power.

Next, removed the center console shroud to give access to the stock AC/Delco radio. You must take the radio out in order to get to the antenna. Depending on the satellite antenna you select, follow it's instructions. Mine simply required plugging the car antenna and satellie antenna into the supplied juction box.

Next, hook up the power leads as per the instructions.

Last, place the XM-control head in your desired location. I removed my center console ashtray because it has a spring cover and was gettting in-the-way. This left a perfect size hole behind the flip-down door - plus it has pre-made access holes to the area behind your dash. This was perfect for hiding the control head cable. The result is an almost 'custom' fit for the XM control head. It looks great and is out-of-sight with the door down.

Voila'! That's it. It works GREAT and I really like it.

If you are interested, I have some pictures of the install. However I have no website to load them onto. But, if you want, send me your email address and I will be happy to send them along to you. Just remember the pictures are on on a convertible. You will have more options with a coupe/FRC.

Lenny
aka: BigByrd
Y2k Navy vert

XM antenna Placement

Future -

Sorry. I forgot to address your question about antenna placement. Although, normally it's present location would not be my first choice, I had no choice - I have a convertible. I placed mine right on the dash. It is on the passenger side in the corner with the windshield. It is only noticeable from the outside if you really look for it. In fact, the little "XM' logo invokes a lot of questions like, "What is this?" or "GPS?" or "Hey, what does this do?"

I will agree that it is not 'ideal', I had little/no choice. It certainly doesn't bother me and has not prevented me from winning two first places since it's installation. But wait, there's more . . . it doesn't slow my car down, either!!!

Have fun!

BigByrd
Y2k Navy vert

Re: XM antenna Placement

Lenny Angello said:
Future -

Sorry. I forgot to address your question about antenna placement. Although, normally it's present location would not be my first choice, I had no choice - I have a convertible. I placed mine right on the dash. It is on the passenger side in the corner with the windshield. It is only noticeable from the outside if you really look for it. In fact, the little "XM' logo invokes a lot of questions like, "What is this?" or "GPS?" or "Hey, what does this do?"

I will agree that it is not 'ideal', I had little/no choice. It certainly doesn't bother me and has not prevented me from winning two first places since it's installation. But wait, there's more . . . it doesn't slow my car down, either!!!

Have fun!

BigByrd
Y2k Navy vert
Thanks for the great Ideas , they say that they have wire cell phone antenna but I don't know how well it works.

Future -

Cell phone antenna? I can't imagine they are at the same frequency? Perhaps the person you spoke to told you about a satellite antenna that 'looks' like a cellphone antenna? TERK does make a glass-mount 'whip', standup antenna in addition to the 'turtle' like I installed. My problem was I only have the front windshield - and, frankly, THAT would look 'ca ca'. A coupe or FRC may look fine with the standup on the rear glass.

Interestingly, tonight, while on my way to a club function, a car pulled along side at a long traffic light. XM was playing and the 'jockey' was going on and on about a special 'All Blues' series they were going to run. The promo listed many performers and was playing sound bites. Well, the driver next to me was obviously tuning his radio. Finally he asked me what station I was listening to? I told him it was "higher up on the dial". The light changed . . . he may still be changing stations!

Ratza Ruck!

BigByrd

Lenny Angello said:
Future -

Cell phone antenna? I can't imagine they are at the same frequency? Perhaps the person you spoke to told you about a satellite antenna that 'looks' like a cellphone antenna? TERK does make a glass-mount 'whip', standup antenna in addition to the 'turtle' like I installed. My problem was I only have the front windshield - and, frankly, THAT would look 'ca ca'. A coupe or FRC may look fine with the standup on the rear glass.

Interestingly, tonight, while on my way to a club function, a car pulled along side at a long traffic light. XM was playing and the 'jockey' was going on and on about a special 'All Blues' series they were going to run. The promo listed many performers and was playing sound bites. Well, the driver next to me was obviously tuning his radio. Finally he asked me what station I was listening to? I told him it was "higher up on the dial". The light changed . . . he may still be changing stations!

Ratza Ruck!

BigByrd
Well you wern't lying to him,it's just that it's waaaaay up on the dial, and it's not on his dial.

xm radio antenna

Don't forget, it's a plastic car! The Sony XM add-on works super. I tried the antenna sitting in the trunk of the convertible (closed) and it worked fine. So, I simply moved it to the passenger side over the wheel well and wedged it so that it won't move or rattle. No-one knows it is there. You can also add an FM modulator very easily at the rear antenna connection. I added a switch and relay for the rear antenna at the same time so that when the modulator is on the am-fm antenna stays down and use the same position for listening to the cd player. When the switch is changed (it is wedged in the rear by the waterfall) it shuts down the FM modulator and activates the am-fm antenna back to normal. The modulator allows very good XM reception from the Sony RCA-out and also would allow plugging in any RCA connection like an mp3 player. If you move the unit from car to car, use velcro in the back compartment, unplug and go. If you get an additional antenna for home or other vehicle, you only need one subscription to move it about like a radar detector.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom