Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who Makes the Best Hoods?

thanks John, I try to work with original stuff, sorry for confusion,

Mike

in a earlier post on this page there was an ebay link to a hood, I have e-mail a couple of people that have the hood and they all have said that it is really good craftmenship close to ecklers one guy even said.

John D.

Re: new hood

SHADY80 said:
I just bought a new hood for the vette,(i got the LT-1 big block hood);from VANACORS, and it was "dead nuts" ;it fits like a glove,no rough edges no waves,and it painted (black) perfect;and the people there were extra helpful,Would buy there again in a heartbeat;and best of all,it was at least 150.oo cheaper than Ecklers. JUST MY 2CENTS,glad to HELP.

How about some pictures Shady. i want that hood, but never seen it on anything. Or e-mail me

glass

I agree with paint daddy .once i got a right front fender from vanacor and had to add glass too the fender to make it reach the door. I know all covette`s that are glass are hand made,But if you want good parts buy Eckler stuff. Vanacor molds dont turn out good products .... my 2cents EYESOFTEX

Re: glass

EYESOFTEX said:
I agree with paint daddy .once i got a right front fender from vanacor and had to add glass too the fender to make it reach the door. I know all covette`s that are glass are hand made,But if you want good parts buy Eckler stuff. Vanacor molds dont turn out good products .... my 2cents EYESOFTEX

I agree, I've seen vanacor's stuff at the corvette shows, and
did not like the mold. lots of edges were uneven.

I am not bashing them, but this is how their products are.
I ask if they could find me a better one in the trailer, and he said that's how their hoods are made. All of them.. But they got neat stuff, if you don't mind smoothing out the inperfections

check it out

Hi John. Check out Main Sharks thread in the C3 mods forum. He is getting a 67 stinger hood, but it is 1 3/4 inches taller. This really looks cool. Much more aggressive and not seen as often. This hood is from Vancor. Let us know what you decided on. :drink
Troy

corvetjerryd said:
Hey Johnd
I just put an L-88 hood on my 73 and I got mine from vanacors.
They have a 10% off sale going on right now so I saved about $200 on the total price as compared to ecklers and others. BUT.... I have noticed it don't fit just perfect.... the finish is good and they got it here fast, BUT....It don't fit like my stock hood. But I still like the looks of it.....
I need to know ASAP...was the hood you ordered in stock or did they have to make it? And if they had to produce one,how long did it take for that and the delivery? What all didnt you like about it? Was it wavy? Or did the seams & corners all not line up correctly? I & a couple of freinds are interested in the price,but we'd appreciate these questions answered hopefully before Monday afternoon(1/5/04)!! Thanks....Jon

Re: check it out

c grn go said:
Hi John. Check out Main Sharks thread in the C3 mods forum. He is getting a 67 stinger hood, but it is 1 3/4 inches taller. This really looks cool. Much more aggressive and not seen as often. This hood is from Vancor. Let us know what you decided on. :drink
Troy
Where is this Post? I can't find it?:confused
I am with Jon and am thinking of getting the Stinger hood for my 77.
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/latest.htm
http://corvettec3.com/jacks-corvette.htm

took a tour of ACI and was told they manufacture 90% of all the fiberglass sold by the various vendors
http://www.acivette.com/
check em out

I bought a Vanacors hood at the fall Corvette Expo. It's beautiful quality but when I test fitted it the gaps around the edges are excessive. Now can someone tell me how to add fiberglass along the edge. I need to add about 1/8" along both sides.

I'd spend the money on an Ecklers or a Gm if I has to do it over again.

one thing I do remember from the tour was that since the Vettes were assembled by hand and that they (ACI) molded their parts to a median size so to be easier to fit. He showed us two examples of C-3 rear bumper fits that they were working on. one needed the filler on the body and one needed the filler on the bumper. The C-3s were having fiberglass rear bumpers put on

C3RVETTE said:
I need to know ASAP...was the hood you ordered in stock or did they have to make it? And if they had to produce one,how long did it take for that and the delivery? What all didnt you like about it? Was it wavy? Or did the seams & corners all not line up correctly? I & a couple of freinds are interested in the price,but we'd appreciate these questions answered hopefully before Monday afternoon(1/5/04)!! Thanks....Jon
Hey Jon, Yes they did say they had to take one out of the mold and finish it up before they could send it to me.I orded it on monday and they had it to me by Friday.And 3 days of that was shipping.Give them a call
It wasn't wavy at all,the finish is very good.I did have clean the holes out with a tap but everything bolted up pretty good.
The worst thing about it was the way the points near the windshield didn't turn up enough to match the fenders.And if i adjusted the stops higher in the back then the center near the middle of the fender was too high....But it wasn't that bad ,maybe a 1/4 inch. other people said theres were fine and they might have exchanged it if i had asked.But you can't beat the price.And the 10% is good till the end of the month and that pays the shipping right there Almost.
Its the only one I ever put on so I really don't know how it compares to the others.I think its gonna look great myself,I can't wait to get some real paint on it. Maybe next month.......
I can E-mail you more pics. if you like.

corvetjerryd said:
Hey Jon, Yes they did say they had to take one out of the mold and finish it up before they could send it to me.I orded it on monday and they had it to me by Friday.And 3 days of that was shipping.Give them a call
It wasn't wavy at all,the finish is very good.I did have clean the holes out with a tap but everything bolted up pretty good.
The worst thing about it was the way the points near the windshield didn't turn up enough to match the fenders.And if i adjusted the stops higher in the back then the center near the middle of the fender was too high....But it wasn't that bad ,maybe a 1/4 inch. other people said theres were fine and they might have exchanged it if i had asked.But you can't beat the price.And the 10% is good till the end of the month and that pays the shipping right there Almost.
Its the only one I ever put on so I really don't know how it compares to the others.I think its gonna look great myself,I can't wait to get some real paint on it. Maybe next month.......
You know..some pics would be great,if you dont mind! I'm very close to getting the Vanacor Daytona hood,& price is a very big factor at the moment-but I do want it to look right....Are all their hoods that bolt on use factory springs,hinges,etc??

My L 88 hood bolted right up pretty good with all the stock stuff...
But I don't know anything about the daytona hood ...But i'm sure it probally does....They can answer all your questions for you...
The lady told me I could send it back If I wasn't satisfied....
I can only only post one pic. at a time on this forum..If you want me to send you more pics, I will need an E-mail address....

corvetjerryd said:
Can you email me some pics too? any and all!
I am the guy getting a stinger hood with Jon!
Email me here: jack@CorvetteC3.com
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/latest.htm

(It is very possible at the last minute, I may switch to the L-88 hood)

NEW HOOD

I'M responding to 81LT4; sorry i;m not set up for photos;but again i;ll say, the hood i bought from VANACORS (LT-1 BIG BLOCK),is real nice;fits great,painted very good,and mostly; it was priced right.VANACOURS PEOPLE WERE VERY GOOD TO WORK WITH.they helped me in every way,and because i was a couple thousand miles away,they had it delievered right to my door.I wish I could get some pictures to you;if you would like,e-mail me your address and i;ll send you a couple of snap shots I KNOW I'M TEN YEARS BEHIND TIME,but thats all i have for ya. hope i can help!!!!!

Now can someone tell me how to add fiberglass along the edge. I need to add about 1/8" along both sides.
Dont ad the fiberglass to the hood,add it to the hood opening/jamb edges.If you add it to the hood it will surely crack and or fall off from shutting it over time.
Get your hood to fit the best it can fit ecspecially front and rear edges,then center it the best you can side to side

First grind or sand the jamb with 80 grit or rougher sand paper ,be careful it wil remove alot of fiberglass in a hurry.Sand the entire vertical section and the horizontal lip area.Also sand the top of the fender next to the hood opening about 1 1/2 inches.
Close the hood and take some wooden paint stir sticks(available at any paint store)Tape the wooden stir sticks to the edge of the hood ,you may need to break a few stir sticks due to the length of the hood.Slowly close the hood .Then use kitty hair or your choice of fiberglass filled body filler and fill the remainder of the gap that is between the paint sticks and the fender.Let it dry and sand over the topof the fender and the hood as if you were going to mold the hood in and never open it.Keep sanding until you can see the the edge of the fender and the hood.Open the hood and now you have a rough start .Now lightly sand the rest of the kitty hair anf finsh fill down in the jamb as needed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom