Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: why does the power seats slide back and forth.

Dads C5

Corvette
1998 BLK/Torch Red Vert,Z06 wheels,K&N,BBK shorty
I purchased my '98 conv. first of this year and both seats slide back and forth on their own. Especially when I brake, the seats slide forward and then back. Someone told me to lower the seats all the way down but that didn't help. It really gets on my nerves. Does anyone have a cure? Thanks much.

C5s have a known defect in the seats. Look up threads regarding this "rocking seat" problem. Fix is supposed to be simple once seats have been removed from the car but that in itself complicates matters.;help

hey, thanks for getting back to me. I will check that out. Thanks for your help.

Thanks so much Rick. Great info. Now I must decide if I want to tackle that myself or pay someone. You go ahead and do yours and then let me know how it was...lol.

ROCKING SEAT

How many miles does your car have on it? I have a 2000 red vert looks like yours. mine has 43,000 miles. no rocking seat YET. YET being the key word. Had any other problems? Seems these cars have issues. Just bought mine in Nov.

Mines a '98 model. I purchased it in march '08. It had 47,900 miles on it and now it has 50,013. The wheels on mine came off a 2004 model. The previous owner had installed a Corsa cat back system on it. I have installed a K&N cold air intake, bosh +4 spark plugs, and GM performance red plug wires. That's all I'm going to do to it. It gets great gas milage and will go from 0 to the speed limit real quick and that's good enough for me. Post some pictures of yours when you can. The only problem with mine are the rocking seats.

If your saying the seats slide forward while your driving..? that sounds like a safety issue you should have looked at immediately..

Head over to www.corvettemechanic.com and ask over there..

The techs at that site are pretty cool and can probably give you good insight...or a plan of action..

If the seats are rocking a bit....thats a different scenerio...

You could also use the search feature here and find a possible plan of action to correct the problem ..

Good luck and btw...beautiful car! How much did you get it for...

I bet its an amazing ride..

JB

Mine only has 22k on it. No other issues. I'm going to tackle the project in March after the weather gets a warmer. Not motivated to work in a cold garage.. I've tilted my seat up a bit and I don't get as much rocking.

Mines a '98 model. I purchased it in march '08. It had 47,900 miles on it and now it has 50,013. The wheels on mine came off a 2004 model. The preious owner had installed a Corsa cat back system on it. I have installed a K&N cold air intake, bosh +4 spark plugs, and GM performance red plug wires. That's all I'm going to do to it. It gets great gas milage and will go from 0 to the speed limit real quick and that's good enough for me. Post some pictures of yours when you can. The only problem with mine are the rocking seats.
Don't really know how to add pics but I will try.
WAGONGUY

How many miles does your car have on it? I have a 2000 red vert looks like yours. mine has 43,000 miles. no rocking seat YET. YET being the key word.
If you don't have the problem by now, you probably never will. It's not a defect with the seat design, but rather, is caused by people using the top of the seat to brace themselves as they exit the car. Their body weight is applied as a giant lever, and snaps the seat mount... thus causing the infamous "rocking seat." The correct procedure is to brace oneself on the door frame behind the seat, not the seat itself.

We can take the process one more step, WAGONGUY, and include the photo in your post.

Nice looking C5 too.

18810d1232379932-why-does-power-seats-slide-back-forth-vert.jpg

Welcome to the newbies in this thread... hope you're enjoying the CAC and doing a bit of exploring too.

Check out these threads for some interesting info:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...w-members-welcome-corvette-action-center.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/site-help-feedback/92538-resizing-photos-irfanview.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...568-how-do-i-upload-photos-into-my-posts.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...-linking-photos-your-photobucket-account.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...791-how-post-pics-your-thread-flickr-com.html

If you haven't posted an introduction thread yet, slide over to the New Member Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself and your Corvette - here.

Dads C5, I've got the same issue with my '98 too. The rocking chair seats are a nuisance and they're on my Corvette To Do list, but not high priority. Priority items are issues that keep me from driving her. :L

:wJane Ann

HPIM0256_E.jpg

Hey, I appreciate the pic help. So you have a vert too? I have had Jeeps before but never a real vert. I am sure I will like it! Can you add my pic to post or do I HAVE TO DO THAT?

Temporary thread hijack...

Hey, I appreciate the pic help. So you have a vert too? I have had Jeeps before but never a real vert. I am sure I will like it! Can you add my pic to post or do I HAVE TO DO THAT?

You can do it yourself. Check out this thread in the Site Help and Feedback Forum and all will be revealed. ;)

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...568-how-do-i-upload-photos-into-my-posts.html

If you have trouble posting, start a new thread in that forum stating the problem you're having and we'll help you out.

We now return you to the original thread topic. :thumb

:wJane Ann

Thanks for the info JB. It just rocks back and forth. I shouldn't have said slides. It's not real bad but it does get on my nerves. I doubt I repair it until the weather gets warmer. My best friend said he would help me. He takes corvettes apart and puts them back together all the time.

That makes alot of sence. The guy I purchased my vette from was a big man and I don't doubt that's how he exited this car.

I purchased my '98 conv. first of this year and both seats slide back and forth on their own. Especially when I brake, the seats slide forward and then back. Someone told me to lower the seats all the way down but that didn't help. It really gets on my nerves. Does anyone have a cure? Thanks much.

DadsC5,
There is a known Technical Service Bulletin for the 'rocking seat' phenomena in 1997-2002 C5s. Here's a brief summary from the CAC's Knowledgebase: CLICK.

Hope this helps!

-Patrickhttp://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ation+and+Braking+(Replace+Adjuster+Assembly)

Thanks Jane Ann. Your vette and Steve's vette sure did look good parked on the beach last week. Great photos.

Thanks Patrick. I will check that out. My vette is at the chevy dealer now getting some kind of recall done on the steering column. I will ask about this when I go pick it up. Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom