Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport WHY! The different, but the same engine?

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

junkyardjohn

Corvette
2010 grand sport covert. blue
Why is the LS 3 built at one location by one guy, and the other LS 3 built at another location by a group of people for the same vette? Why is the battery located in the trunk of some but not in all? Why is there dry sump in the hardtop, and not the convertible? Is the hardtop quicker? What else is different?

You bring up some valid points. Marketing maybe? All I know is if you have a fast convertible, you aren't on the track for long!

Why is the LS 3 built at one location by one guy, and the other LS 3 built at another location by a group of people for the same vette? Why is the battery located in the trunk of some but not in all? Why is there dry sump in the hardtop, and not the convertible? Is the hardtop quicker? What else is different?

As said before, could be certain options choosen by the dealer/customer that require various locations....

I can speculate that the dry sump is in the hard top because the hardtop has generally always handled better then the vert. In other terms, the extra bracing provided by a solid pillar allows the car to handle the forces produced from the engine and changes in direction etc... better. As a vert lacks that pillar, so the lower body needs to be reinforced, but still isnt as structurally rigid as the hard-top (Body flex is one of the common occurances in convertible sports cars). So in conclusion, the hardtop is better for performance because it is more rigid.

I can say from previous C6 Roadster ownership experience and when my interest flared to possibly attend a HPDE formed by a local Corvette Club (while owning a Roadster), I found out that all Roadsters had to have SCCA approved roll-bars and saftey belts etc to be able to get onto the track.....this is why I think the distinction exist between putting the Z52 package on Coupes only, I think Z52 is the performance package that comes when ya get Coupe with MN6 tranny (has MZ6 gears-what Z51 used to be) along with handbuilt motor at Wixom Performance Build Center where they handbuild Z06 and ZR1 engines with dry sump oiling system and the battery placed in rear like the Z06 and ZR1 has for weight disturbution. Even if you got the Coupe or Vert with auto tranny, you got a fast car dude. Same everything as the other except the track oriented stuff (well maybe faster gear ratio's to increase out of turn quickness and better cooling and beefed up suspension for improved cornering and few other things). You got a real fast car.....no matter what it's got on it....:upthumbs

dry sump

another reason the battery is in the trunk , on the dry oil sump engine,the oil filler tank is where the automatic and converts battery is located,passenger side near firewall

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom