Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why VNV no longer needs a cardiologist

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
So, I got the bright idea of taking the roller rockers off the old 427 and putting them on the new zz454. According to the shop manual, no sweat since the lifters are hydraulic....set it #1TDC, set the lash on the respective valves, move it to #6TDC and set the rest...but as usual, nothing works the first time for me and the engine just cranks and cranks...damn, i start the process over and Mark calls, telling me he wants to pick up his AN wrenches...BEAUTIFUL day down the shore, good day for a ride

So, he shows up (and gives me a valuable lesson on how to wire my head light relay) and pitches in to help me start the beast. So, we go through the checklist, the valve adjustments look fine, it's getting gas and so we (he, actually, I had NOTHING to do with the next step) says he wants to check for spark. You guessed it, as soon as I hit the starter, Mark says a BIG hello to my MSD unit. Yup, looks like I got PLENTY O'SPARK.

Damn, I never saw someone smoke before. I mean smoke from the ears!!!!:W

Well, right after he did the dance in the garage, the engine fired up (with a little help from some starting fluid). If it's not him grounding my ignition, it's me roasting my hands on his positively charged oil line.

What a crew.

Mark, thanks again:_rock. The EMT's usually expect to see me in trouble so they really enjoyed working on someone new :eyerole

Hand off of the distributor, Mark.
VNV-zap.jpg

;LOL

67HEAVEN said:
Hand off of the distributor, Mark.
VNV-zap.jpg

;LOL

Ouch!!!!!!!!! That's gotta Burn. ROFLMAO Sorry ;LOL

Yeah Man....All I did was stick a screw driver in the Kid's MSD Blaster coil. Then I took a test lead and clipped it on to the screw driver.. I then held the test clip by the insulation...(About 1/32 Of and Inch thick) ..near ground.

That's where I made my mistake....Now we know why the insulation on coil and spark plug wires is very thick. That's so the Freaken 55,000 Volts can't leake out and ZAP YOUR AZZ.

When the Kid Hit the starter it looked like a Lighting Demo at the Franklin Institute...That's a Museum in Philly that gives real Lighting Demos under controlled conditions. Man...there were lighting bolts all over my hands jumping to ground and using me for ground!!!

Of course I was thrown back and disconnected my self. The Kid had a Big Smile on his face.....after he realized I was ok.

Pictured below are some decals were giong to place under KIds Hood Near his MSD Blaster Coil....

sh.gif
shocka.gif

skid.gif
wax.jpg

Kid's Mobil Electric Chair..

shpic.gif
[

You probably know this but, you can use a test lamp for this.Any time I had a problem with an MSD set up I use there trouble shooting chart.

I normally dont use profanity,but I got hit with a msd shock and all of the curses I had stored up came flying out with in secounds.Its hard to describe but it makes me CRAZY MAD

I was REALLY concerned for Mark. By the time it was over, it was too late to do anything. Bet he's got a REAL interesting electrocardiogram now.

DAMN. He kinda took it in stride. Whew.

I would definitely go for the labels under the hood if you make them # match. Can't be too careful with the judges you know.

Thanks for the comments on the valve covers. 'Though I had enuf clearance at the bottom of the cover, they were bouncing up and down on the rr's at the top so I took a pair of Vise Grips and bent them up and away. Not as pretty anymore but very functional. Mark, John, anytime you need them they will be in OC. Also notice the AN fuel fittings. Just finished that up before VNV came over and the reason why I borrowed his tools. Funny thing, my wife saw his AN wrenches sitting on the bench and fell in love with the colors. So, naturally, I told her she could buy me all those pretty colors as a holiday gift. Hot Diggity.

BTW, the engine runs great with the rr's. I used 3/4 turn lash and had to only back off a few nuts to dial it in. Now that I think of it, I'll sell the newly refreshed 781 heads the rr's came of off. I'll post it in the F/S section when I make up my mind on the price. My pricing strategy is usually based on what VNV thinks they're worth. Time to call JL66RDECPE also.

ttfn

VNVZAP.gif

But seriously, glad you are okay Mark. Last time I got zaped like that i also hit my head on the hood when i jumped. :)

My pricing strategy is usually based on what VNV thinks they're worth. Time to call JL66RDECPE also.

Don't look to me for pricing on the heads.... "I Know Nothing"...(Shultz)..

That's one of the things I'm not up on ..maybe John or some one else here could advise..

:beer

studiog said:
VNVZAP.gif

But seriously, glad you are okay Mark. Last time I got zaped like that i also hit my head on the hood when i jumped. :)

Great.. GIF... That skeleton interface is cool...!! I also have banged my head on occasion....:D

PTighe said:
It's not the volts that will kill ya, it's how many amps you draw! ;)

Yeah...PTighe.....Das I know being in electronics......But 55KV at 100MA can still make your Pee-Pee stand up and salute....:D
;)

YOU KNOW...now that I reflect on those few precious moments of yesterday, I recollect that my car actually ran a little bit BETTER with you "in the loop"...perhaps having "One Richman-worth" of resistance inline modifies the shape of the discharge curve to render a more thorough burn in the cylinders........

how fast can you run????

studiog -> GREAT POST!!!!

Kid_Again said:
YOU KNOW...now that I reflect on those few precious moments of yesterday, I recollect that my car actually ran a little bit BETTER with you "in the loop"...perhaps having "One Richman-worth" of resistance inline modifies the shape of the discharge curve to render a more thorough burn in the cylinders........

how fast can you run????

studiog -> GREAT POST!!!!

Well I'll be selling my seamen now as I think it has had the magic charge between the Blaster Coil and Touching your BB.....
I should be able to mix it up as an additive for the Fuel System ..It should make the cyl burn last longer......;)

I'm still trying to figure out a response to VNV..pretty much says it all

yea kid again my brother is a live wire. Pity he ok I could have inhereted a nice C2 Oh well I probably would have missed him, besides I dont have room in my garage for his 86

VNV Older Bro (better looking too)

Viet Nam Vett said:
Well I'll be selling my seamen now as I think it has had the magic charge between the Blaster Coil and Touching your BB.....
I should be able to mix it up as an additive for the Fuel System ..It should make the cyl burn last longer......;)

I have heard it all Now.;LOL

wtf_dude.gif

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom