Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Will wider tires fit my 77?

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
I am looking at replacing the tires which are 225/70/R15 with a wider tire 255/60 R-15. Does anybody have experience with this? Will there be clearance issues? Any input would be helpful.

A buddy of mine runs P-245's (T/A Radials) on his '77 without issues. This is on the stock 8" steel rally wheels with the standard suspension (not the optional FE7 sport suspension). I would think that the P-255's would work without issues.

I have cut and rewelded the parking cable bracket to the top of the arms to allow wide tires to fit. I usually do this when building arms but I think it can be done on the car.

A buddy of mine runs P-245's (T/A Radials) on his '77 without issues. This is on the stock 8" steel rally wheels with the standard suspension (not the optional FE7 sport suspension). I would think that the P-255's would work without issues.

I am considering wider tires for the sake of appearance. I too have the stock rally wheels which answers that question. It appears that starting in 78, 255's were an option, but not in 77. Maybe the parking brake cable bracket was relocated after 77? It sounds like a minor task, so if that's all it takes, I may replace the tires with 255's.

Yea, the P-255's were optional on '78's. The car I bought back in '78 was a L-82 4 Speed FE-7 car with the P-255's tires on 8" ralleys. On the front, the fender well lip was factory cut back flush with the side of the inner fender. The lip was cut back for tire clearance, as the FE-7 cars sat a bit lower.The rear wheel wells were un-modified. The question I would have is how much did the body change in the wheel well area from 1977 model to the 1978 model. I have the feeling the answer is very little. If you could find a fellow Corvette owner local to you with P-255's on his car, perhaps you ask to borrow a wheel for trial fitment. Or talk with your tire dealer, he might mount a tire up for a temporary fitment. I have done that in the past with my local Discount Tire dealer. If there is a problem, I would expect it to be on the front. The emergency brake cable bracket shouldn't be a problem with the P-255-60.

Side note - my '78 was ordered with the YJ8 aluminum, but was built with the steel wheels, due to porosity problems with Kelsey Hayes manufactoring the wheels down in Mexico. Dealer assured me that it wasn't a big problem, take the car with the steel ralleys, and the Dealer's Parts Department would order a set of YJ8's and install them. Got the car, Parts Department tried to order a set only to find out that GM required a VIN number for a car with the factory installed YJ8's. Finally got the wheels, using a VIN from a Silver Anniversary sold by the dealer.

FWIW,

Last edited:
SVO, would you know if I'd have clearance issues if I went with 245's instead of 255's?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom