Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

window clicks when at top

justin10morrissey

Corvette
1985 corvette
so my passenger window wont stop rolling up when it gets to the top and i can here the motor hitting the ribbon, its an 1985 so its the slow ribbon motor it doesnt roll up all the way just enough to let a little water in during the rain not sure if i need a new ribbon or if its a window stop i hate these doors

When you're replacing your door speakers I suggest that you either totally clean and regrease the moving window parts or replace them with the newer, faster scissors. It'd be a great time to check for loose and/or worn glass guides and stops. The ribbon may be broken but I'd check to see if it goes up farther with the door open, away from the rubber.

Properly adjusting a door or a window is a bit of 'art'. :w

ive had the door panels off many times and im not sure if ive lost a few of the guides and or stops. with the door open it gets to the same spot but still makes the noise of the gear grinding on the ribbon its like 1/4 inch off from where it needs to be. i can pull the window up that much but then it gradually goes back to where it usually is

Normally, you'd not have removed the glass guides.

The replacement ribbons are not too expensive and not all that hard to change. The worst is doing is what you have done so many times.

I changed only my driver-side ribbon twice, then decided to change to the new design. I found a pair online (auction place) at a decent deal.

ive had the door panels off many times and im not sure if ive lost a few of the guides and or stops. with the door open it gets to the same spot but still makes the noise of the gear grinding on the ribbon its like 1/4 inch off from where it needs to be. i can pull the window up that much but then it gradually goes back to where it usually is

Its lost some teeth on the ribbon....time for a change

Its lost some teeth on the ribbon....time for a change
thats what i figured i seen a universal replacement one at autozone think its the same thing? i already know how to do it i bought one off ecklers and replaced the driver side when it snapped

thats what i figured i seen a universal replacement one at autozone think its the same thing? i already know how to do it i bought one off ecklers and replaced the driver side when it snapped

Ya know....
as with anything that says "universal" I always find that its NOT !

Just because I do know that windows come in different shapes/sizes and different stresses apply to each, so the window regulators are designed for each application, I would think. That being said, it does'nt make sense that a unique car like a corvette would accept generic parts for even the most common subsystems like regulators.

Still might be the real deal.....I know they'll take it back and order the right one if it don;t work. Its Bound to be cheaper than Ecklers:ugh or the other catalog stores. Give it a shot. If there is $3 to be saved somehow, thats almost 1/2 gal:eyerole of gasoline or about 10 miles of city driving !

Ya know....
as with anything that says "universal" I always find that its NOT !

Just because I do know that windows come in different shapes/sizes and different stresses apply to each, so the window regulators are designed for each application, I would think. That being said, it does'nt make sense that a unique car like a corvette would accept generic parts for even the most common subsystems like regulators.

Still might be the real deal.....I know they'll take it back and order the right one if it don;t work. Its Bound to be cheaper than Ecklers:ugh or the other catalog stores. Give it a shot. If there is $3 to be saved somehow, thats almost 1/2 gal:eyerole of gasoline or about 10 miles of city driving !
ill try it as im taking off the panel to put in new 6 1/2 kenwoods i got one in and wrapped the cover in leather it looks really good

ill try it as im taking off the panel to put in new 6 1/2 kenwoods i got one in and wrapped the cover in leather it looks really good

did you end up with the speakers in a box of some sort? or mounted to the inner door frame directly?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom