Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Window inoperable

Corvette
2001 Z06
Got in my 99 this morning and found that my passenger side window is inoperable, both from the control on drivers and passenger side. When I hit the down button, I get a click(in passenger door) and a slight dimming of the interior/exterior lights. As I said, this just happened and I will look into it this weekend if the weather is decent. Wondered if anyone had this problem before or if there were some tips when I do start diagnosing the issue. FWIW, no codes, had cleared them last week and nothing new when I checked this morning. TIA

The click noise and dimming of the interior lights suggest a bad window motor. Good luck with it. :)

Have you tried using he motor with the door open? Sometimes the window can stick really tight to the seals, it's rare but I have seen it

Last edited:
The click noise and dimming of the interior lights suggest a bad window motor. Good luck with it. :)

That's what I was afraid of, was hoping it might be a ground or something else..thanks

That's what I was afraid of, was hoping it might be a ground or something else..thanks

Don't forget to try the window with the door open........:)

Got in my 99 this morning and found that my passenger side window is inoperable, both from the control on drivers and passenger side. When I hit the down button, I get a click(in passenger door) and a slight dimming of the interior/exterior lights. As I said, this just happened and I will look into it this weekend if the weather is decent. Wondered if anyone had this problem before or if there were some tips when I do start diagnosing the issue. FWIW, no codes, had cleared them last week and nothing new when I checked this morning. TIA

Hold the button down and give a good sharp blow with the back of your fist in the area of the motor, many times this will free up man otherwize un-operable motor. :thumb

Hold the button down and give a good sharp blow with the back of your fist in the area of the motor, many times this will free up man otherwize un-operable motor. :thumb

Thats what I was thinking of as my first option, thanks ;LOL

Thats what I was thinking of as my first option, thanks ;LOL

I was going to mention to do that BUT keep in mind that unless you are in a position to repair the problem, you may not be able to get the window back up, believe me I know. If the window was down I would have recommended it. It may work properly after tapping the door panel too, just be aware that there is a 50/50 chance it may not go back up. :)

Dimming lights indicates a struggling motor. Bad motor or binding. Here is a link on removing the door panel. You can unplug the motor and jumper 12 volts to it to test it.

Installation of Vette Essentials' Custom Door Handles

Thanks for the advice and link, dadaroo, appreciate it.

I was going to mention to do that BUT keep in mind that unless you are in a position to repair the problem, you may not be able to get the window back up, believe me I know. If the window was down I would have recommended it. It may work properly after tapping the door panel too, just be aware that there is a 50/50 chance it may not go back up. :)

That crossed my mind last night when I was replying..and being that I don't have a garage, just a cover, I think I will wait until I have a reman'ed or new motor and time before I try giving it a bop.

Which way is the proper way to go?? New regulator and motor (~$100) and just install a new motor (~$50). The few vids I've seen are for option 1, where I've seen just installing a new motor seem to indictate the motor is riveted to the regulator and needs to be drilled out for replacement. Lots of conflicting and confusing stories, not concerned about the money as much as I am looking for the best, uncomplicated route to take. (and no, I do not have a FSM yet)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Take the door panel off and make your own assessment of what you want to do. No right or wrong. If the window worked fine before then the regulator should be good, just a motor issue.

I'm just not sure you have determined it is regulator or the motor that is your problem.

Last edited:
Which way is the proper way to go?? New regulator and motor (~$100) and just install a new motor (~$50). The few vids I've seen are for option 1, where I've seen just installing a new motor seem to indictate the motor is riveted to the regulator and needs to be drilled out for replacement. Lots of conflicting and confusing stories, not concerned about the money as much as I am looking for the best, uncomplicated route to take. (and no, I do not have a FSM yet)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you are going to just install parts, for a $50.00 difference I would do both since the regulator cables are know to go bad occasionally. Just make sure that the parts you install are a know good quality part, cheap aftermarket parts will make the problem worse. Good luck with it. :)

Take the door panel off and make your own assessment of what you want to do. No right or wrong. If the window worked fine before then the regulator should be good, just a motor issue.

I'm just not sure you have determined it is regulator or the motor that is your problem.

Plan to take the panel off tomorrow and give the motor the tap test. Will go from there..Appreciate the reply.:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom