Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Window Play

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello L81 family. I have play in both my windows. In fact, the only way to get a good seal when closing the door is to be standing outside and push on the glass while closing the door. Otherwise the door seal pushes the glass out and you have a gap at the top of the window. This occurs on both windows. I did notice that neither door have window felts attached. Could this be my problem? If so, where can I purchase? I have not been able to find any for '81.
Thanks.

The aftermarket providers carry the felts (anti-rattle cushions). The assembly instruction manual (AIM) has the best guide for setting door glasses. Order the AIM when you order the fuzzies.

:thumb

Thanks. I have anti rattle cushions on the inside, should there be any on the outside of the window? If so, then therein is my problem.

No anti rattle custions on the outside. On the oudside the window is free so to say. But the curve of the window and the rails "push" the window inside.
All you need to do is adjust the windows (not easy if you ask me) and find the right spot for the window to roll up with the door closest and with the window closest the door needs to close without the window getting out of the blow out clips (or how you call them).

Greetings Peter

I pulled one of my door panels off and I noticed that there is no seal. I also noticed that the bottom of my windows are getting scratched. So my first step will be to replace the seals and I will see how it goes.

Thanks.

If you do not have a felt or rubber(aftermarket) seal on your door panel then you will have play in your window glass. Mine had play even after replacing the regulator parts. You are suppose to adjust the glass with the panel off, but the only way I could get mine to work is with the panel on.... Good Luck Tim

Hello Tim and thanks for the response. Not sure I understand how to adjust the window with the panel on. Can you explain?

Hello Tim and thanks for the response. Not sure I understand how to adjust the window with the panel on. Can you explain?

What I found on my car was that I would make the adjustments with the panel off and then after I put the panel on, the window would be out of adjustment. So I had to adjust with the panel off to get it close but not right on, then put on the panel and check the window. I don't put the screws in the panel while I'm adjusting the window I just hang the panel on the door frame so that I can account for the felt seal resting against the window glass. Hope this helps you...Tim

Tim, thanks for the explanation. One other question. What and how do you make adjustments to get the glass where you want it? I want to try and nail this and get it behind me.

Thanks again,
BBerry

I bought a pair of outer window seals. They have totally thrown my windows out of alignment. In fact, the motor is having a difficult time getting the windows up. I noticed that the rubber seals that I bought are kind of hard. I purchased them from corvette America. I see that corvette central offers a felt seal similar to the original. Has anyone tried the felt vs the rubber seals?

I bought mine from corvette central,around '05..
When I adjust my windows,I put them about an inch gap all the way around,with the panel off
and set them there....

I believe I got the felts,
Whatever was original..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom