Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

window stop replacement

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
My window stop guide broke on my 94' on the front of the passenger side window. I have the part but cant find the tool it calls for. Does anyone have a short cut to get the screw/bolt out or to hold the back to keep it from spinning? I did the search and found post about it but non that say they did got it done.

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
I GOT IT!!!! Man, I was up till alomost one in the morning last night then today I had a brain storm, took plumbers putty and got an imprint of the back of the nut on the backside of the broken guide/stop and took an old putty knife and tin snips and made a tool to hold it in place. It worked but I hope none of you have to change one of these out, it had a pita rating of at least an 8 or a 7. Had to take a break then its off to put the panel back on and hopefully its done.

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
If you take off the aluminum panel that is right under the outer door panel the PITA factor drops to about a 2 level. I have replaced three on my '96. Did it the hard way the 1st 2 times. Now I take off the alum panel. About 8 screws hold it and then one connecting rod attached to the inside door handle. I don't have the tool either.

BTW, another poster here (don't recall who) recommended an upgrade that I tried the last time I replaced the one on my drivers door. These things fail fairly often on a daily driven car, I'm only getting about 65K miles out of 'em. Obviously it depends on how often you run your windows up/dn. Before you install the next one build the inside up with epoxy to add some strength to it. Just leave a clear path for the bolt.
regards

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
Thanks for the tips. I did end up loosening the aluminum panel so I could get closer to the stop, I didnt take it out though, there was one nut that looked like it attacted to the window mechanism and I didnt know if it would fall or move. Ill remember the epoxy tip, its too late for this one, its in there and I dont want to do it again for awhile. How did you get the nut off or keep it from spinning without the tool? I used part of a putty knife the I bent 90 degrees and cut down to fit in the hole, it was by luck it worked.

lone73

Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
There is one bigger bolt through the panel in the upper left area that has to do with the rear window stop I believe. If my memory serves me correctly you loosen it to allow movement but it doesn't cause movement. I know that I just took it out when I did mine with no ill effects in the window adjustments.

Sounds like a very clever use of the putty knife. I have no need for the tool with the aluminum panel out. There is enough room to get a pair of small channel locks in there to hold the round nut.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. :beer

regards
lone73

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
someone from arts corvettes just got back with me about the tool, Kent Moore, Call 1-800-468-6657 .

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
$38.95 48 hour shipping or less. Wonder if I could market my putty knife?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Top Bottom