Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: winter storage battery question

vintagez

Corvette
2009 coupe
Just bought a 2009 base coupe with 6 speed, replaced my 2002 Z06. With the new keyless remotes, when you disconnect the battery for winter storage it says in the service manual that the remotes must be re-learned to the car. Does that mean when I put the battery in the car in the spring it will not start until I have this re-programming done? I do not have the ability to put a trickle charger on the car at the storage location. Thanks for your help

"..it says in the service manual that the remotes must be re-learned to the car."

I'd say yes per the service manual, congrats on your '09! :w

:lou

RKE retained

Just received an answer from our TAC guys who said RKE will retain with battery disconnect, they said windows relearn is all that will be required, any other thoughts?

I use battery tenders and leave the batterys in the cars.

battery disconnect

jhecox, I know that using a battery tender is the preferred method, but some of us do not have access to electrical power in the storage area, so when battery goes dead it kills the battery when the car sits for 5 months

vintagez~ What if you were to just remove the neg. cable from the battery terminal for the winter? This way, you could leave the battery in the car. (Unless you're worried about battery damage from freezing.)

Might wanna get the tires off the ground too, if it's gonna be THAT cold! (Better yet, point that sucker SOUTH and drive to Arizona for the winter!) Hell, birds do it!;LOL

I use battery tenders and leave the batterys in the cars.
When I store my '07 Z06 I attach the battery tender leads to the remote battery posts under the hood. A buddy says I should put the leads on the battery itself because it is not a good idea to run the current through the fuse box to the battery. Does this make sense or just nonsense?

I have an 08 manual and I disconnect my neg. as GM recommends and I have absolutely no problems .I do make sure my battery is fully charged before I disconnect .

Battery disconnect

I disconnected the battery cables of my 08 for the winter, then decided to start the car to re-position it. I had CAREFULLY disconnected the + because I couldn't get the ground to loosen. When I re-attached the the positive, a large spark occured, to the point of seeming like something was shorted or a large draw on the battery. When I entered the car with fob, everything seemed normal till I hit the start button, then everything went dead. I checked tightness of the cables and found some corrosion. After cleaning and tightening the cable, same result. I did not have time to further troubleshoot. Any thoughts? The strong spark at batt. connection has me concerned, but the car had no issues before batt. disconnect. Thanks.

I disconnected the battery cables of my 08 for the winter, then decided to start the car to re-position it. I had CAREFULLY disconnected the + because I couldn't get the ground to loosen. When I re-attached the the positive, a large spark occured, to the point of seeming like something was shorted or a large draw on the battery. When I entered the car with fob, everything seemed normal till I hit the start button, then everything went dead. I checked tightness of the cables and found some corrosion. After cleaning and tightening the cable, same result. I did not have time to further troubleshoot. Any thoughts? The strong spark at batt. connection has me concerned, but the car had no issues before batt. disconnect. Thanks.

Did you find out or recieve any suggestions to the issue of everything going dead when you hit the Push to start switch?

MSGG100

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom