Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wipers have a mind of there own

John-C5

Corvette
2002 Quick Silver Coupe
Went out last night to take my 02 for a ride and when I turned the key on the wipers started up. The wipers were off when the car was parked last and it hasn’t been out in the rain for days. Moving the switch through the different positions has no effect on the wipers. Is this something that could be caused by the control module in the wiper motor? Anything else I should be checking before I spring for a new module?

John

I had the exact same proble with my vert in the past. I had to clean out the two ruber drain thingies on driver side under the wiper motor. Mine was pluged with leaves which keept all the moisture. Then I used compressed air to try and drye everythingoraund the motor. Eaven after all that I would drive and aspecialy after sharp turn the wipers would come alive all on thair own. All that stoped after about a week. Hope little moisture is the only problem you have, if it is just clean it the best you can, pull the fuse so the wipers won's scratch your winshield and see if it goes away after couple of days.
Good luck
Zig.

PS: Mine got wet when I washed the car.

FYI... You CAN replace just the module. The GM P/N is 12367295 (97-04) GM calls it a cover kit includes the circut board for the wiper system.

:beer

Thanks for the input, I did check the rubber drains and they were dry. Don't know if it's been wet in the past and that's what's causing a problem now. I'm off the Bahamas for a few days. When I get back I'll pull it apart and see what I find. Sound like I may just need a cover kit to solve the problem.

Thanks
John

Also check the washer button on the end of the stalk. If the button pops out, the washer punp and wipers will run continuously. I had that issue with my 02 vert. Parked in the garage for about a month, started it, wipers & washer pump going crazy. I was able to find the 2 tiny springs and the washer button to reaasemble and held it in place with electrical tape. Dealer replaced entire module under warranty.

Good luck with yours
:pat

Replaced the module today with a new cover kit. Still have the same problem, wipers run all the time. The washer button seams to be working OK, it pumps only when it's pushed and the wipers run a little faster on high. The motor looked clean and dry, doesn't look like a water problem. Any ideas on what to check next?
Thanks
John

Hi, John,
If you replaced the module itself and you're still experiencing the same problem, I'm curious: have you checked to see if you're getting any codes?

-Patrick

Hi, John,
If you replaced the module itself and you're still experiencing the same problem, I'm curious: have you checked to see if you're getting any codes?

-Patrick

No codes. I found some info on testing to see if it's a switch problem and that will be my next move. I guess the wiper switches can fail causing this problem.

John

Hi Patrick
Turns out it was the switch. Unpluged the cable from the switch and the wipers parked right away. Replaced the switch yesterday afternoon and everything is OK now.
John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom