Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wipers power OFF while driving in rain.....

nashville68bird

Corvette
1982 Collector
Have never driven my 1982 Vette in the rain for any extended period of time.....until yesterday that is. After 20-30 minutes of wiper use the wipers powered off all by themselves and would not power back ON. Luckily the windshield glass angle blows most of the rain off and I was able to exit the highway and pull into a gas station. After 10 minutes with the car turned off I cranked her back up and the wipers powered up again....?? So, obviously not a blown fuse issue. Thoughts?

Sounds like an issue with the wiper electronics. I think you have a short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without knowing all the details, i would think, the rheostat might be getting warm or the switch itself, if it functions well after cooling down. I would test this theorie by running it in all settings while cold, then heat up the car if you can and do the same, see if that makes any difference.. Might also be the wiper motor and it shutting down due to heat.

And yes, i might be totally off the rocker here, but thats the first thought that comes ot mind.. ;)

:w
Stefan

I think it might be this part...
1980-1982 Corvette Intermittent Wiper Module

Those are known to go out.

But like 82Col said, could also be a few other parts.

Problems like that can be tricky to track down. You almost need to back probe when it happens at the wiper motor unit and then trace back to the last area you had current going into an electrical component. Good current going in and nothing coming out when you should have something coming out is a tell tale sign the component is bad.

I think it might be this part...
1980-1982 Corvette Intermittent Wiper Module

Those are known to go out.
Hate to disagree with you here, Kane, but when my Intermittant module gave out, only the delay function was off. All other wiper functions worked fine, ie slow and speedy worked fine. Especially with the heat description, i am leaning to wiper motor getting hot or the rheostat, thus disabling the entire thing.

But like 82Col said, could also be a few other parts.

Problems like that can be tricky to track down. You almost need to back probe when it happens at the wiper motor unit and then trace back to the last area you had current going into an electrical component. Good current going in and nothing coming out when you should have something coming out is a tell tale sign the component is bad.
And we're back on the same page.. :) Best is to test this out. :thumb
:w
Stefan

That's the thing... there are a few pieces to the puzzle that have to be tested and ruled out.

Otherwise, it's throwing good money at parts that might be working. ;)

Mine was doing the same thing. Not saying this is the case but mine was a loose wire in the connector at the motor. Wiggled it and it fired right back up.

Mine was doing the same thing. Not saying this is the case but mine was a loose wire in the connector at the motor. Wiggled it and it fired right back up.

Would a loose wire cause the wipers to quit after using the wipers for a while? I had bad motor that acted something like this back in the 70's, but I am not able to remember the details.

I'll spend some time on it this weekend. It will rarely ever be driven in the rain, that's for sure.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom