Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wipers

sunger

Corvette
1968 427 convertable
Got my first vette about a month ago, and can't imagine what took me so long. I bought an original 1968 427/400 convertable that is in great shape. I am replacing the oil pan right now because of a leak where someone once welded it, and now I am getting ready to tackle the inoperable wipers. Everything I read talks about the problems GM had with them, but I am looking for some ideas of where to start. Absolutely nothing happens when I try to turn them on. Remember, I am new to Corvetts, so take it easy with the termonology.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Steve
Southern California

First check the fuse. Second, does the wiper door open? If not, you need to fix the vacuum system. The wipers have a safty switch on the firewall that stops the wipers from turning on until the door is open. Check these first and post again with results.

Hi Steve-
Welcome to the Corvette hobby.

You and I both live in SoCal so wipers are not often needed but, nevertheless, it's good to have them working. I would not characterize the early C3 wiper system as overly problematic, however, if there is a weakness, it's that some DIYs are not familiar with how to diagnose a problem with the wiper door. Other than that, the system is typical of the wipers on all GM cars of that vintage.

First to do is buy a copy of the factory service manual. Both Corvette Central and Mid-America carry them.

Detailed instructions on troubleshooting the wiper electrics and the wiper door are in that book.

You also will need a 12v test light and may need a voltmeter.

If you are one of those people who doesn't use manuals, you can open the wiper door manually, short the safety switch with a jumper then test the wipers. If they still don't work, then I'd reconsider my decision on an FSM purchase.

There is a knob and 2 pull down knobs on the steering column at the bottom of the dash. The pull down knobs control vaccum to the headlight doors (left) and the wiper door(right). The knob in the middle turns to turn the wipers on or off so you can stop them in mid swipe and change the wipers. If turned off the wipers will be inoperable. Make sure it is turned on.

If the door doesn't open pull down the right knob and the door should open. Then turn on the wiper switch and see what happens. If nothing try the knob in the middle.

Once you know that the electrical is working. Fuses checked. Remember 3 things will stop your wiper from working.
1. the door doesn't open
2. the switch is turned off.
3. there is a problem with the mechanism( switch or motor)

Take them one at a time and check them out.

Thanks everyone, it is my next weekend job. I'll let you know how it works out.
Steve

Steve,
May have said this already but invest the money in Olson's schematics. They are laminated, color coded and so much better than the manuals.

As stated, check the override switch under the steering column first (and fuse) to make sure the door will open. Please post again this weekend when you are troubleshooting and we will help you out all we can via the forum....

Cee

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom