Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wiring up Painless Harness

henny496

Corvette
1963 Corvette coupe(pro street)
Hello
I am getting close to the point of wiring my car. I have a new Painless 18 circuit harness, but I have heard that I should use relays as well
I know Stepinwolf has used these as well as an aftermarket harness
I am not very good at wiring, and I am looking for some basic info
Since this is an aftermarket harness and my car is modified. , what should I use as a schematic and where are all of the relays placed??
If I order what I need now, it should be here in time for me , when I am ready to start.......but I just need some guidelines as to where to start
thanks in advance
Tom

Tom,

The relay's should be placed as close to the power source ( alternator ) as possible. This will keep to a minimum any current loss from longer wires.

As for the best way to accomplish all the wiring itself, you will need to spend some time on Mad Mark's web page. It is the most complete " how-to " for beginners that is available on the web for free.

I would recommend that you purchase a wiring diagram from " Don Olson " at vetsvette2002@yahoo.com, and combine this with the technical info you will find on " Mark's website. http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

It might take some time before you get a response from Mad Mark, because he tends to be busy, sick, and not always available. His e-mail address was purposely omitted from his site so that he could get more work done.

Good luck

Stepinwolf

Henny
I will go online and see what your kit comes with .I used the 22 circut kit

Make a list of what you have in the car.

My car I only added one relay pack and it was for the electic fan for the radiator.

But even with the 22 kit I still had to put in a little circut panel for the radiator fan,and my msd box main wire.

I made a quick scetch of the car.so I knew where things were going.

I mounted my fuse panel then slowley seperated the wires into bundle.

1-engine bay
1-dash board
1-dash cluster
1-front of the header panel
1-rear end of the car.

Once you start getting the bundels seperated it much less confusing then having that big mess of wire that make no sence.

Good luck and pm me if you need to for my cell number.

Also some wires for sure are just way to long,After checking,double checking,triple checking

I was able to cut them and get them out of the car.

Other wires were too short because of how I chose to wire the car. When I knew a wire was too short,I would just cut a peice off the end. then splice in a wire inbetween,this way I still aways had the lableing on the wire on the end of it.

Also when ever I made a connection I made sure it was absolutely perfect so latter on if I had problems and had to dianoise it I would not have to deal with any of my splices . I would make a connections or a splice then heat tube it so I knew it was sealed.

I also used the painless connections for like the trans harness,engine bay harness, headlamp harness just like the factory had so for future service you just unplugging a harness not cutting and then re-splicing it.

This isnt rocket science here you just have to take your time and plan a little

... I have heard that I should use relays as well
....and I am looking for some basic info... Tom
Are you asking what circuits should have relays? I would definitely use relays on the headlights, especially if you are using the original switch or lamps that are higher wattage than stock. Electric fan also, if you have one. I use an EZ Wiring aftermarket wiring kit and used relays on the headlights, power windows, and power door locks. My electric radiator fan controller came with it's own relay.

In addition to the other wiring suggestions, I tried to install the wiring so that I could easily fix things in the future. For example I put push-on connectors on all the wires going to the dash pod so I could easily remove the gauge cluster without having to disconnect all the gauge wires. Also did the same on the doors, but you may not have any wiring running to the doors on your car.

Your aftermarket harness probably does not have ground wires but I would strongly suggest that you run ground wires to EVERYTHING. I installed a separate attachment plate under the dash that has connections for all the ground wires in the car.

Charles

good thread.....

Your aftermarket harness probably does not have ground wires but I would strongly suggest that you run ground wires to EVERYTHING. I installed a separate attachment plate under the dash that has connections for all the ground wires in the car.

Charles

Yup - I used about six of Mad Mark's molded plastic junction blocks to ensure grounding when I built my Grand Sport - put one in each area, ran local grounds to the stud on the block, then ran a heavier-gauge ground wire from the stud to the frame. Had no grounding problems.

:beer

Hello
Thanks for the input. I really have little experience with wiring. I did my race car, but that was over 20 yrs ago and it had about 3 or 4 switches.....thats it ( my memory is a little foggy.......actually very foggy)
I don't know where to place/mount the relays, the ground plate sounds interesting
My car is mismatched somewhat, so what year schematic should I get?

Does the starter have a relay?? should it??
I have a Holley ignition system, but it has it's own wiring diagram with it, so it is not as confusing, but the other stuff is where I am lost
I want to ground everything, but keep it clean looking. I am afraid I will end up having to go over stuff again and that is where it will get messy
thanks
Tom
work is slowing down right now, so I will have extra time to do this

If anyone has pics of their wiring, it may be a little easier for me to understand in conjunction with what you are saying
I just want to make sure I fully understand this before I start
Tom

Hello
Larry was kind enough top call me and talked to me for some time on the subject.
Stepinwolf e-mailed me the link to the mad site. I will still get a wiring diagram
thank guys
I guess a starter has a relay......the solenoid.......should of thought before I typed

My son and I just wired up a custom Merc. We went with a 21 Circuit EZ Wiring kit and have lots of wires left over for future enhancements, like A/C, elect doors trunk, PW, PDL, etc.

One thing not mentioned in the directions was that you should cap off all bare wire ends not used before putting juice to the system. We didn't have a problem, but it could have happened. All are capped off now.

Ol Blue

And speaking of unused wires, you might be tempted to remove wires that you think you will never use - don't. You might decide later to add a fan for a transmission cooler, electric fuel pump, or a line lock.
Charles

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom