Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wise Guy seats and Custom colored Dash pads fpr C1's

Stan's Customs

Corvette
Project 1961....
I keep seeing references to wise guy seats that some builders are using in there cars...What are and where can I get some information and pricing on them.

Another thing I am curious is whether there is a source for custom c1 dash pads...in different colors than stock....like bone leather for instance.

Thanks...Stan M.

....scuse me, should have edited.

I meant to say...."in "their" cars...What are they and where can I get some information and pricing on them?"

Stan

Check out this album for some pics of the Wiseguys seats and a dash pad that has been custom made in a special color.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1219045

You can contact Wiseguys directly for pricing, or go through one of their dealers. No one is making off-the-shelf dash pads in special colors, but a good upholster can warp a stock pad in leather or similar material. The other option is to just have a proffesional re-dye a stock pad. If you go this route, doo yourself a favor and start with a fawn beige pad so that if it gets scratched, it won't be so noticable, The fawn beige pad is a little more than a red or black pad, but it would be worth it. The only down side to wrapping the dash, is that it has to have at least one seam on it. This can be desirable design feature or a distraction, depending on the upholster. Mine is wrapped in Ultraleather which is more stretchable than leather.

Regards, John McGraw

Hello again John..

Thanks for the post of the pics. Mighty fine stuff if you ask me...I don't mind the seam at all. Looks great properly done.....love that soft leather look. I wouldn't be happy with a dye job, they don't hold up to suit me.....used to do them a lot back when I was rebuilding Chevrolet pickups.

That car of yours really has been a work of art...Congrats on the craftsmanship, and thanks for sharing some tips on the things you have done. Sure saves a lot of time for those of us who are just getting started on our cars.

Best regards...Stan

John, nice pictures and ride! I also have Wise Guy seats, but have decided to get them covered with my own supplier leather. One of the reasons I decided to get them covered locally, was to have the upholster make sure that he could do something or provide more leather reinforcement in the area right by the brackets that hold the soft top.

I had ordered only one seat to see if I could get the clearance I needed in order to get my big body in the car....with the seats and the Budnik steering wheel (which is what yours looks like too) there was enough clearance for me to decide that I could do the car and drive it....hence the project proceeding...I have since ordered the second seat, but Dick at Wise Guys had a lsight change going through on the design so he was waiting for a new order of them to come in, but he tells me that his supplier's laser cutter broke, hence there is a delay. This was as of last Monday, April 11th, now he is telling me early middle of next week.

Stan, Wise Guys Seating, PO Box 211, Elkhart Indiana 46515 866-494-7348 (toll free) 574-848-1309 He has a catalog, but I don't see the seat for the C1 in it, rather tell him on the phone what you want (in my case '60 vette) and he will get you the right frame. I paid for seats, foam and rails (slider) without covering about $365 or so each...covering them will not quite double your costs from WiseGuys. www.wiseguys-seats.com Billy dawson down in Texas got WiseGuys into making the frames, You can see his seats installed on the following link www.carols62.com/59/c1_seats.htm

What did you do in that area? The clearance between the seat and the where the bracket and bolt heads or studs protrude out of the nut looks to me that it would rub. Do you have pictures of this clearance?

Here is a shot of what I am talking about....

IMG_3504seatclearance-vi.jpg

IMG_3505seatclearance-vi.jpg

You can see how the cushion without any covering wants to rub this area....the seats I am taking out were covered and pulled very tight in this area and not allowed to rub. I figure if I show it to the upholstery what the problem is they can trim and pull in that area to clear....got any pictures of the back side of your seats and any in this area as well?

thanks, Herb

Thanks for the information herb....I haven't done anything for seats yet ....just surveying my options. I had heard of the wise guy seats, just hadn't seen them. I have the original seats for this rolling basket case, they just seem a bit hard...and was wondering what the alternate possibilities would be. I'm sure these original seats would bring enough to replace them with aftermarket. This car is not a restoration candidate...just has quite a few original things left like the seats.

Thanks again....Stan

You might want to check with Al Knoch, I think I remember hearing he can rebuild stock C1 seats with extra padding and bolsters in the seats, and will cover them in stock-appearing leather if you want to pay for those modifications. It's also possible he could supply non-stock color on seats or dash, though I can't remember hearing about that.

http://tinyurl.com/asx6k

Stan's Customs said:
Another thing I am curious is whether there is a source for custom c1 dash pads...in different colors than stock....like bone leather for instance.

Thanks...Stan M.

I can certinally help on a new dash with a special color. :upthumbs

I had Al Knoch redo my seats to look stock, but to take out about 3 inches of height to the bottoms and depth to the backs of the stock seat frames. His price was very reasonable, and this made the car much more driveable. I'm 6'6", so I need any help I can get. The 15" steering wheel helps a lot, too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom