Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

won't start

RogerCharette

Corvette
1992 turquoise targa top
I recently inherited my dads 92 corvette, 30,000 miles on it and looks like new, the problem i have is that after starting it and running for a few minutes then shutting it down it will not start. the instrument lights come on but the starter does not even click. it has a new battery and a recent tune up at a chevy dealer. after 5 minutes of letting it sit it will start. this has happened many times now. has anyone any suggestions?

You could have the alternator checked?? :confused See if there are any trouble codes stored in the PCM..

wont start

the gage shows 14 to 16 volts when it's running, could it be something in the security system? maybe even the key?

Automatic or Standard?

And I'm not sure about 1992, but do those keys have a little resistor chip in them for the VATS system?

I recently inherited my dads 92 corvette, 30,000 miles on it and looks like new, the problem i have is that after starting it and running for a few minutes then shutting it down it will not start. the instrument lights come on but the starter does not even click. it has a new battery and a recent tune up at a chevy dealer. after 5 minutes of letting it sit it will start. this has happened many times now. has anyone any suggestions?

thats a VATS problem most likely. The problem that people run into is that they will attempt to restart too soon after a VATS trip, then they assume its a piece of crap or there is some malfunction when the system is doing exactly as it was designed.

Whenever VATS is tripped, it takes at least 6 minutes and a max of 15 minutes to reset. Trying to start the car again before the system releases the ECM, just resets the disabling, so it won;t start.

After letting it sit for 15 minutes, try again. IF it still won;t do anything, get a different key. Often the key is damaged. Sometimes the contacts in the key cylinder are damaged or just dirty. If a new key or a different key does not help, the lock cylinder must be changed with a new set of keys. It can be bypassed, by the VATS is the only thing between you and every POS:mad car-thief in your city. If VATS did not do its job so well, vettes would be the number 1 stolen car in America. An occasional inconvenience or malfunction is worth the peace of mind that the system offers.Some people that like to think "it'll never happen to me..":chuckle as far as their car being stolen. let them gamble. Not me. Remember, its NOT an alarm, its an Anti Theft System.
VATS pioneered anti theft systems and made alarms worthless. No, theives made alarms worthless.... VATS made them go look at Mustangs...:rotfl

Thanks

Thanks for the information, I'll try changing the key looks like the one that i have been using is worn...
Thanks again

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom