Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Won't start

B

beachrover

I washed my engine today without first searching the forum for tips. I covered everything I could see. After washing, I ran the engine for about 20 minutes, backed it in the garage and began cleaning the interior.

1 1/2 hours later, it won't start and sounds like it jumped timing. Did I do something to the ?Optispark? Is this something that will clear up and if so how long or do I need to go ahead and call the wrecker?

good news is that it was running. hopefully it will dry out itself and start. Good luck!

Didn't have reader to check the codes. Bit the bullet and it was off to the dealer on a rollback.

Followup:
It ended up being the Optispark but it didn't go bad due to the engine washing. It had rusted substantially due to condensation since the car had been parked so long. Ended up replacing it, water pump, plug wires and plugs.

Beach, care to share the dealer price for that little project?

Dang Man! I thought my bill was high for my '95 a few years back. It was $950, including towing. Second time it went south I replaced it, and the water pump myself. Total Labor = $0. Opti from GMPD was about $365. Water Pump was $129 for lifetime.

I washed my engine today without first searching the forum for tips. I covered everything I could see. After washing, I ran the engine for about 20 minutes, backed it in the garage and began cleaning the interior.

1 1/2 hours later, it won't start and sounds like it jumped timing. Did I do something to the ?Optispark? Is this something that will clear up and if so how long or do I need to go ahead and call the wrecker?

Well, previous rust or not, washing the engine didn't help the situation-which you're fully aware of $1700.00+ later. NEVER wash the engine compartment-EVER!! You'll find CAC members that say they do it all the time after they've covered the opti with plastic. I'm not one. I've witnessed too many Vette buds that thought they had the opti suffieciently covered better than it was only to find out the hard and expensive way that they'd ruined the thing with water.

As for what the dealership charged you--hey, I'm glad your Vette's back up and running, but they ripped you a new one!

As for what the dealership charged you--hey, I'm glad your Vette's back up and running, but they ripped you a new one!

You're right on this one. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The car was bought as a gift for my wife. I had it scheduled for the carpet & seats to be repalced as well as some other minor cosmetic repairs on the interior. When this thing went out, I was under severe time constraints to get everything pulled together so I didn't have any choice other than letting the dealer have it.

I can tell you that it will be the last time they ever see it again. Sad part is the dealership is owned by a guy who drives a race car with the #24 on it and Dupont as a sponsor so he will never know the difference.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom