Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Would you use Synthetic?

T

TPI Thomas

As many of you probably know by now I have a 86 TPI with 54 k mi's. I am considering switching to synthetic, I know once you switch you cannot switch back. What are some pros and cons to switching? I was also told (by more then one person) that switching to synthetic will reduce engine oil consumption and eliminate that horrid puff of oil on start up. What do you guys think?

I would make the switch. I know of no reason why you can not go back to Dino oil if you like but I don't know why you would want to. As far as eliminating start up smoke:eyerole I don't know about that one. Just be sure you're using PURE synthetic. Not all synthetics are synthetics(if you catch my drift)
Carlo

Hi,
I would like more information on this as well.
I know everyone talks about "Mobil" What other good braands are out there?
If you change to synthetic, do you change your oil every 3k as usual?
How much more does it cost?
Is it worth the change with 58k miles on the engine?
Does anyone have favorites to recommend? :confused "Synthetic Oil"
Thanks,
Gus :w

IMHO,
Any time is a good time to change to Syn. Cost is higher(about 4.50 a qt. but the benefits far outweigh the cost. I continue to change at 3k though longer intervals are acceptable. Mobil and Amsoil, I think Valvoline has a new one and Castrol are four names that come to mind. I have always used Mobil1 in all my cars but may be switching to Amsoil for personal reasons.

"Change it hot and change it often";)

Nobody has any experience with Royal Purple? I have heard from everyone that has used it that it was the best. That coming from a sprint car garage in Placerville CA. They swear by it.

http://www.synerlec.com/

Dyno Proven.

evolution,

I ran royal purple in my old 94 LT1 camaro, I was very pleased. Performance on the aut X course was great. But when I had it in for service, the dealer checked my oil and he asked me what the heck I put in the oil. He hadn't ever seen an oil that 'thin'. I had to explain the whole royal purple thing. Having said that I'm probably going to keep Mobile in the vette.

Synthetic oil

As was said earlier, anytime is a good time to better lubricate your components. Synthetic is the best of the best their is to do this. I,to, still change mine at 3,000 miles even though it's probably overkill. The oil still has wonderful lubricating qualities, but it still gets dirty!!
I don't think the type of oil has anything to do with that puff of smoke at start-up. Sounds like valve seals may be a little worn, and thats common for those engines. If it gets where it really bothers you, yank the heads and do a valve job, or replace the seals with the heads on the car. Hope this helps.
Joe

maby better oil = better lubrication = no more puff of oil!!!! = 1happy TPI Thomas=)

Gus Vette I want Your Mufflers!!

What is involved in replaceing the valve seals?

I have heard all pros no cons (is that a good thing?)

If I do switch do I need a different type of filter?

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil with a Mobil oil filter. I can't say that I notice any changes, but so many people have given Mobil high marks that I decided to try it. The one thing that I do notice is that oil temperature does seem to rise slower than with the regular stuff.

Around here, it's about $4.75 a quart and about $10 for the filter. I change my oil about every 2,000-2,500 miles.

I'm going to switch to 10W-30 instead of 5W-30. Someone suggested that I use 10 for an older engine.

I switched my 86 to synthetic at 132000 miles - I'm pretty sure it was dino the rest of the time. I still get the puff of smoke at startup if I was driving hard before I put it away last (yes, I do let it cool down first). I have also run synth in both my Subarus (one turbocharged, one NA) and I can heartily recommend it. On an older car, you may see some weepage around the various seals initially, but that should stop soon. As for switching back, you can do so at any time. In fact, most oil companies have synthetic blends which are part synth, part dino (why? Who knows? ) so they're running both at the same time...

BTW - I run extended drain intervals on the Subarus (10000 miles, change filter every 3333 or so miles) and the two cars had a total of 290000 miles between them before I sold the one (still running strong) to make room for the Vette.

[RICHR]

I use Amsoil in my 85 and change it twice a year. Unless you drive a lot of miles this is fine. Extended drain intervals are one reason I use synthetics. Better lubrication (less wear) is another. May not help the smoke problem. That sounds like valve seals.

Mobil1 Synth 5-30W. May try the 15-50W now the temps are around 80-90deg. Change oil every 5,000mi. Oil filter at 2,500mi. Have 85,000 on the LT1. No leaks, no puffs of smoke. And I've never had to add 1 drop of oil inbetween changes. It works fine.

I did try RedLine Synth. That is an excellent oil also. But it costs about $7.50/qt and I couldn't justify it. Good for racing though.

Graham

Mobile 1 here too

I like the stuff. I use 10w30 in the vette, 5w30 in the 2001 ram 4x4 and 10w30 in the lock van (over 115k miles) and it is great. I have been changeing at 6000 miles, but the new vettes suggest 15,000 miles between changes or 1 year!
--Drew:w

i've always ran castrol syntec since day one when it first came out in my 82 Z/28! One day my water pump blew out and i was about 5 miles away from home so i said screw it if it blows up it'll give me the reason to throw in this 400 small block i had at the time, so i limped it home around 5 miles away in city traffic. The water temp gauge was off the mark at 260+ got it home popped the hood and she was sizzling! But guess what?!?!? fixed the water pump and that was it! was out street racing that weekend :D I believe in syn 125% you are right on switching though. once you go with it you won't go back. i wouldn't say once you go you can't go back it's more less syn don't mix good with reg oil and will break down your valve train alot faster so don't ever mix the 2!

if you want to get into the best oil to use......Kendall! MOST race teams use Kendall oil.....i've never used it but my uncle does in his TAD even when we had Citgo Supergard as our sponsor! we pour the supergard out and fill it with kendall so it looked like we used supergard :L

FYI, 5w30 actually yields better HP readings on a dyno! i've read this in an oil break down of weights to see which weight gave less friction which = more HP.....from PHR mag!

Castrol Oils...

I'm using Castrol petroleum-based to break it in Mike, then I'm gonna switch to Castrol Syntec also. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom