Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Would you use Synthetic?

We use Mobil 1 in all but the 62 & 72. I know the Mobil 1 save my engine on my 92 when a piece of metal fell of a truck in front of me on the highway and I had cars on either side of me.:eek No way to avoid the metal! I thought I'd puntured the oil pan. Before I could get to the side of the road my oil pressure was down to zero. I called a rollback and had the vette hauled to our local vette shop. The metal had punctured the oil filter. But there was not any oil left in the car at all!:eek They told me the Mobil 1 had definitely saved my engine. :) I firmly believe in Mobil 1.

We change the oil at about 7,500 miles. We also run it in our other vehicles. I had to ask about the Jeep since they suggested mopar oil. The man at the dealership told me he runs Mobil 1 in his Jeep.
;) I use 10w 30. :w

Gus,

Since you're going to go with Mobil 1, might as well use the Mobil 1 oil filter as well. One oil filter I just wouldn't go with would be Fram, I just don't like the quality of the case.

You could also go K&N, both K&N and Mobil 1 filters are about $10 each.

Treat your baby well and she'll take care of you.:D

Now that you've got me thinking about it, Wal Mart sells the 5 quart containers of motor oil. I do believe they're 5 quarts. Wal Mart is actually a good place for some automotive stuff. The prices at Wal Mart are excellent. And they do sell Mobil stuff so it's all good!

Your Wal Mart is open past 11 pm? Wow, ours closes at 10 sharp. But the funniest thing was when the local Home Depot was open 24 hours.:L :L :L Could you imagine going to buy lumber or a ceiling fan at 3 in the morning?:D

This is totally off the subject, but I once worked overnight at a Super K that is open 24 hours a day. And oh boy, between the hours of 2 and 5 am, you see some of the strangest characters that you'd ever encounter in your life!:crazy :crazy Then again, I was a strange character for working overnight:hb It really takes something special to work overnights and I give kudos to those who do it!

And back to the subject, it looks like you'll be going with a Mobil set then? Let us know how it goes and your opinions. This thread will definitely come in handy again down the road when another Vette' member will pop the same question. This website is like school, you learn something new and useful everyday.

To the actual thread. :t

I use Castrol Syntec 10W30, Ive always had good luck with it and the reviews in magazines like it as well. (This go's for all my vehicles)

One major reason to use synthetic is WINTER! Since Syn oil won't lose its viscosity (10W30) at high heat Like normal oil (Another reason Synthetic is cool) but in winter the same go's for never losing its viscosity in winter hence to reason alot of people don't have to use block heaters anymore.

The first time I started using it I WAS using block heaters on my Jeep's but after the switch I forgot to a couple times and I never knew the difference..

The engine DOES sound like it trys at about Minus 20-25 (AKA Cold enough) but usually our winters are about Minus 5-15 and I have no problem and am proud to report I never plugged the cars in ONCE Including a cold streak in Jan where it was 35 below (No plug in and she started..with effort)

Just an advantage I thought I should let you guys in on.

Hey Thomas,

After BK this Saturday, I'll have to swing home for 10 minutes. I'll bring back my 95 Monte and you can look into the oil fill hole and see how clean everything is inside. The car has 88k on it and was switched to Mobil 1 before we drove it off of the lot in 95.

- Eric :w

Home Depot at 3 am? Been there, done that... when a couple-week-old baby won't sleep, car rides work great and Home Depot is as good a destination for me as any (our Wal-Mart used to be 24 hours, but now closes at midnight). Sadly, our HD also now closes early.

Wish our Wal-mart still carried the 5q jugs of Mobil-1 :(.

OK thanks, Yeh I already went out and bought mobil 1 so im convinced.

BTW/ I got those U-Joints out.....Then I beat the hell out of them with a hudge hammer!!!! Damn Things Shot Scrapnal In to my leg oh well, atleast my car is neer perfect now

1) new wheel bearings

2) new Universal Joints

3) Stemvaced the Inside + a gallon of armorall

4) A gallon of simple green and armorall on the engine

5) Synthetic Oil soon (Z max is in it now!)

6) = one relly nice vette and a verry happy thomas!..... Pain job is on the way ;)

see you this weekend at BK

Sounds like you already GOT a "pain" job :).

Haven't yet done U-joints on mine, but did two of the wheel bearings. Not fun...
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom