Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Wow - can this '64 on Ebay be real?

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
DD '64 for sale on Ebay in Florida. Photos posted and lots of issues mentioned but it's just amazing to me that you can find them this low. Okay... on reading over the description again, maybe his BIN price of $31,500 is too much. ;shrug

Click for auction

:wJane Ann

Jane Ann,

As you know, there are several different approaches to these cars, therefore the value depends upon where the buyer is coming from.

If true originality is important to the buyer, then this car is worthless to him/her. A car can only be original once.

If original-"looking" is important to the buyer, then getting this car back there will take a ton of money. Getting even the body there could easily run $10 - $20,000 as the complete sides would have to be redone (flares). Getting rid of fender flares (the right way), is a nightmare. Then, there's the matter of the wrong brakes, wheels, etc.

If, however, the buyer just wants a fun old Corvette to drive, this one has some potential, assuming the buyer is willing to spend another $10,000 to get most mechanical/eletrical things ship-shape.

:w

Thanks Bob. I'd definitely fall into the third category. ;) If I could ever buy a midyear it would have to be in the "non-original fun Corvette to drive" category. :L

I'd have to mortgage my home and work another 20 years to buy a dream like 67HEAVEN. ;worship

Jane Ann,

If, however, the buyer just wants a fun old Corvette to drive, this one has some potential, assuming the buyer is willing to spend another $10,000 to get most mechanical/eletrical things ship-shape.

I'd start with the tires and wheels, notice there are no full front or rear shots of the car I'll bet it looks a little silly with those big flares and stock wheels ;LOL kinda like my Blazer.;LOL

I'd start with the tires and wheels, notice there are no full front or rear shots of the car I'll bet it looks a little silly with those big flares and stock wheels ;LOL kinda like my Blazer.;LOL

I noticed the closeups are only small areas. The larger images look like he took them from 50 feet away. :L

Holy cow! This one is even worse. :ugh

Click

It's listed as a '63... has a '67 hood... claims the motor was "completely rebuilt" 12,000 miles ago... then shifts to touting a portfolio with receipts of the "restoration". And I've got an untrained eye, but all that brown stuff under the car looks an awful lot like what we in the South call "RUST". And there appears to be lots of it. :ugh

From the appearances of things, the 63 has pretty good bones for a Restoration. The engine looks original (i.e. correct air cleaner, ignition shielding, etc). It would IMO, need a good body off job done to it to make it really nice. The hood and sidepipes could be removed and sold for original style (although I like them both, as is). I just wonder what the reserve is, my guess is that it is higher than the 64 BIN. Of the two I like the 63 better.

Buy it as cheap as I can... Then.... Take it to the Drag strip and Flog it.;LOL

Seems like a good deal to me too (the first car) esp after watching the auction. the seller for sure seems honest in his listing. A convertible would be nice :)

The sun is out here and I am itching to get my car finished.

1964 are the cheapest to buy among the mid years. This car is not a canidate for restoration in my opinion. There are too many cars you could buy for a little more and have most, if not all of the correct parts you would need to start with.

I see two options for this car.

First is to get some proper sized wheels as suggested by Craig, fix the small stuff and use it for a fun driver.

Second would be to use it as a doner car for a custom C5 chassis conversion restomod type of car.

The price would be fair for option one but a little high for option two.

As for the '63. It will go a lot higher. The hood and sidepipes were a common upgrade and don't bother me at all for a driver. If the RE engiine is original it's a 340 horse, not a 365. That frame does look solid to me too. Us northerners don't call it rust until we can stick our fist through it. :L I think the chassis would restore nicely.

The '63 has a steering damper and a low horse tach. I like his discription of the stamp pad.:eyerole

I thought the rust was through and through in a couple spots from the photos and I thought that would be a good indication there was a lot more rust you couldn't see. See there? That's one of the things I love about this place... I learn so much from y'all. :cool

VNV said:
Buy it as cheap as I can... Then.... Take it to the Drag strip and Flog it.;LOL

:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom