Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WTB: Stock Throttle Body

M

MBDiagMan

Anyone have a good L98 throttle body with throttle arm for manual transmission car?

Thanks,
Doc

I've got one, but it's a bit dirty... make an offer. It does not have the IAC stuff on the bottom.
[RICHR]

C'mon Rich, you can clean it up a little ;) Doc, I'd think you'd have acces to this kinda stuff. BTW, LowBall Rich, he needs the $'s :D;LOL

rrubel,

I don't care if it's dirty or incomplete. I can use all the stuff off of mine.

My concern is twofold; the throttle shaft and it's bores must not be worn and the arm must be of the same configuration as mine. I found one some time ago but it turned out that there are two types of linkage arm configurations.

Can you take a picture of the linkage arm and post it? If not I will take a picture of mine so you can compare it.

Did you remove this TB to use an aftermarket unit and if so, was the car idling down okay? When the throttle shaft or its bores wear, the butterflies hang, or something, causing a high idle. That's why I'm replacing mine.

Thanks very much for your response. If it is inconvenient for you to take a picture and post it, let me know and I can post a picture of mine this weekend.

Also, of course, how much are you asking for it?

Thanks again,
Doc

I can post a pic this weekend. I wasn't aware of two different arm types, but I do know there are two different breather connection layouts.

I actually bought this as a spare. I've got a rebuild 52mm on my car and was considering getting this one cleaned and also bored to 52mm. So far, though, it's just sat on the shelf. The seller claimed it was all working just fine. I can say, though, that even with a perfect shaft and butterfly you can still get high idle. My 52mm is absolutely perfect, and I've got an idle issue...

As for price, make an offer after I've posted the pictures. A rebuilder will pay $75 for a core, but I don't know if that includes the IAC or not.

For what it's worth, a guy named Dave Koldos will rebuild your throttle body with sleeved bearings for a decent price. I can give you more info if you want. He's the person who bored out and rebuilt my currently-mounted one.

[RICHR]

rrubel,

Thanks for the response.

I did not know that the core value is that much. I know of a place in Austin that rebuilds them, bores to 52MM, and bearings. Is that the same guy you're talking about? If not would you mind giving me the contact information for your guy?

If it's going to cost $75 for core value, then don't bother taking the pictures. I think in that case I will be better off getting mine done as you did.

I know that my high idle is due to the TB. When it occurs I can blip the throttle or push the arm back and feel it move as it goes back to normal idle speed. In your case, it could be a vacuum leak, IAC problem or even a sticky TPS. I have already checked all this on mine and as I say, I can tell that the butterflies are sticking.

Thanks very much,

I've got the same problem w/ my TB as well, but I don't think my stock motor can handle the aftermarket 52mm TB. My dad is a retired machinist from Rockwell and thinks he can make a bushing for the shaft. I just have to give him the specs to make it....We'll see. Since mine's apart now, it would be a good time to get my mic out and take some measurements.

A 52MM is not too much TB for a stock 350. Remember, the TPI system was designed for a 305.

If I had access to a lathe I would certainly mill out the TB to take a custom made bushing. I'll bet your Dad could do a great job as long as he has access to the equipment.

Good luck,

theres someone on eBay that will bore it to 52mm for $159. not sure is that a pretty good price?

Rich,

Thanks very much for the contact info. I plan on doing mine this winter. I'm doing other work with plans of putting the car on the road in the Spring. I will contact your man.

I'm sorry I did not end up taking your TB off your hands. I thank you for your honesty.

Have a great day,

You're welcome, and it's not a problem... as I'd said, I have it as a spare. However, if someone needs something I have, I've no problem selling it...
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom