Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WTB: the "4" part of a 4+3

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
Anyone selling the manual portion of a 4+3 transmission? I think all the synchros are dead in mine and I'd like to rebuild one out of the car and have it swapped in rather than pay to have someone else do it. Condition isn't critical as I plan to rebuild much of it anyway.
Thanks.
[RICHR]

rich, i can't answer your question directly, but i know pete k is selling a 4+3 fully rebuilt over in the corvette forum, for $900. hope this helps.

Thanks - that's good to know. One reason why I just want the 4, though, is that the +3 was fairly unique for 86 and I'm not sure how well other year units will mate up (there's at least one less switch on my year).
[RICHR]

There are year to year differences but none that make them not interchangable. The main thing was a change input and output shaft bushings. The later model units, I think in 86 or 87 don't have the inter unit seal leaking problems that the earlier units had.

Good luck,

damn Rich! sorry to hear you have problems again :( i still got your tires and helmet. never ran again btw just been busy. sold my house and moving to kent island with my GF. house goes on the market this weekend. i'll bring the tires and helmet over next week. maybe i might borrow them for 1 more pass but we'll see. not really important right now just busy with other things.

btw house is on the market for 430k :D

let me know when your ready to pull the tranny as i closed the store for the winter and have alittle free time now :)

So where's your mom moving to?

Next weekend should be fine for bringing the stuff over. I'll let you know what I decide to do with the transmission; I'm going to let Paul try and adjust things first and see if that helps enough to put off the major work a little longer.

MBDiagMan, the 86 4+3 overdrive is missing a 2nd-gear sensor switch; I thinnk it's the only year where all the OD functions are controlled by the ECU. I don't have the switch that commonly gets modified to give full manual control over the system.
[RICHR]

rrubel said:

Next weekend should be fine for bringing the stuff over. I'll let you know what I decide to do with the transmission; I'm going to let Paul try and adjust things first and see if that helps enough to put off the major work a little longer.

MBDiagMan, the 86 4+3 overdrive is missing a 2nd-gear sensor switch; I thinnk it's the only year where all the OD functions are controlled by the ECU. I don't have the switch that commonly gets modified to give full manual control over the system.
[RICHR]

well if you learn how to shift.......

hehe j/k! it's old and things wear out. 140+ thousand miles i'm suprised it lasted that long.

buying her a house in greenboro. well actually she is buying the house but i will be the sole owner. nice victorian with new roof, new double pain windows, new ac unit/heat unit, 1 car garage, and fenced back yard. good thing is i walk away with 70+k and will use it to pay of my business and buy a few things :)

rrubel said:

[RICHR]

Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound like it would be too hard to change if you get in a pinch and have to use a unit from a different year. Since it's electrical, it might even be possible to cheat it somehow.

It's too bad you have to find a unit. IMHO, these are great transmissions if used within their limits. If you DO end up needing a unit it does present some problems, not only finding a unit, but thinning your wallet at the same time.

Best of luck,

I may have one for you in a week or so, I am trying to decided to sell the vette in one piece or parts...

Sounds good; let me know. Shipping from Ca might be a pain, though... any idea of the weight?
[RICHR]

anybody know if internals from 78 vet super t10 will fit the 4+3 case ?

opinions on "close ratio" driveability ?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom