Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

XM radio

G

Guana 1

Has anyone installed a XM reciever on the factory radio on a 04. I am looking at installing one................TKS

Guana 1 said:
Has anyone installed a XM reciever on the factory radio on a 04. I am looking at installing one................TKS

I install a sky Fi II when I travel. its portable from car to car and works just fine with the antenna mounted on the dash inside windshield near the
windows post

Don

Chrisr said:
I use the Roady 2. You can also slip it in a walk-man type of case and use it as a portable.

I also use the Roady 2 and put the antenna on the cowl cover just clearing the hood. I lose the signal a lot, especially when there is a tree beside the road--which is nearly everywhere here.
My daughter has the older, larger antenna on the roof of her minivan and very seldom loses the signal.
Anyone else have this problem, and is there a better location for the antenna?

RoadReady said:
I also use the Roady 2 and put the antenna on the cowl cover just clearing the hood. I lose the signal a lot, especially when there is a tree beside the road--which is nearly everywhere here.
My daughter has the older, larger antenna on the roof of her minivan and very seldom loses the signal.
Anyone else have this problem, and is there a better location for the antenna?

Darn Roady!! If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you've been in my car!!! :L

I've got the same problems with the vette, but in my MB with the antenna mounted on the roof, not a problem.

I've got the SkyFi II in mine - on an aftermarket radio. In the vart, the little antenna works great mounted right underneath front of the trunk lid in the very center (closest to the waterfall). It turns out that there's some metal in there and the woring was easy to run.

Hummm.... wonder if the antenna would work better mounted on the frame rail under the rear skin, as some guys have done?

I have an '84 with the factory Bose radio. I wanted a cd player, so I bought off of ebay a Delco 10 disc, RF modulated changer. I looked at mounting it in the one of the storage compartments but fabricating a mounting to fit at odd angles in there was going to be difficult. So I opted for mounting it on the side of the rear cargo area. I keep the shade pulled all the time anyway, so people don't see the changer in there.

Shortly after, I added a SkyFi XM radio. I took a piece of metal and bent it 90 degrees in one spot and mounted it between the CD changer and the side of the compartment. I then put the magnetic antenna on the metal bracket and ran the wiring to the front. I rarely, if ever, loose the XM signal. Plus, when I have the top off and stored in the hatch area, I still get continuous signals even though the top covers the antenna.

John

Yitbos, is that the very small (1-1/2" or so) antenna or the larger one, and did your mount position it above metal? Think I'll move mine and if the reception doesn't improve I sure won't renew my subscription.

I have both of those antennas (but I've never measured their thickness). One is very thin and the other is about 3 times the size I would guess. In the Corvette, I have the larger one I beleive. I can tell you that my antenna has the pink, one lead, connector. Not the Yellow and Green (I believe) two lead connector. I don't know the difference between them, but that's what came with the car kit I purchased.

I found a piece of sheet metal that was long and narrow. I have access to a machine shop through some friends, so they put it in a metal bender and put a 90-degree bend in it. I then drilled out the holes matching them to the CD mounting bracket.

As I said, I've not had any problems with loss of signal except in a few areas where there are big, down-hill drives with high trees and buildings next to the edge of the road. But I'm rearely on that road, so it's rarely a problem.

I hope that helps. If you need anything else, feel free to send me a private message or post another question.

John

Thanks, John, for the info. Next step is to mount the antenna on the frame. Step after that is to throw the thing away!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom