Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Yellow 'CB' Evaporative Controls Decal

K

knish71

Ok, fellow LT-1 owners. I'm looking for those who have one of these decals on their firewall below the emissions decal.

The NCRS judging guide says they are on all 1970's and early 1971's. I have a very late L15 built LT-1 194371S121701 with one of the decals and was wondering at what point of production did this start and end.

http://tinypic.com/fyfhhg.jpg

http://tinypic.com/fyfk2a.jpg

These are pictures of mine.

Thanks

Robert

I don't have one on mine, but if I remember right my car was built in June of '71.

JJS,

If your car was built in June 71, I'm guessing your vin falls between 17300 and 20800. Since June is late in the 71 model year this is again conflicting info that matches with the NCRS guide but not with what is on Roberts corvette. Or with information from another thread that indicates late build 71's should have it. Note that August 71 is when they started producing 72 model year vehicles.

Robert, while I do not have a LT-1 and the CB decal is not on my corvette, I can see where there is evidence of residue from one on mine.

Maybe you will get some more posts from people with late build 71's and narrow this down. Jus t a thought.. have you tried askin on the NCRS forum?

Steve,

I have, but received mixed opinions. I did receive a private email from a very respected member who said that these decals were on 1970's and early 1971's. Since this was a new emmisions system then, the decal was no longer placed on cars after about 1400. This statement and the NCRS TIM/JG conflicts with what is written in the Vette Vues fact book.

See this link if photo doesn't upload.

http://tinypic.com/hs6s06.jpg

Robert

While vette vues is good, I have found that the NCRS manual is generally a better source. I owned a 71 LT-1, vin 15803, which had the original emissions decal but no evidence of the other decal. Also, I think that the yellow decal was only on 70 LT-1s sold in CA. All other 70 LT-1s did not have ECS. Both 70 LT-1s that I have owned, one of which was a Bloomington Survivor, did not have the yellow decal.

WhiteKnight said:
JJS,

If your car was built in June 71, I'm guessing your vin falls between 17300 and 20800. Since June is late in the 71 model year this is again conflicting info that matches with the NCRS guide but not with what is on Roberts corvette. Or with information from another thread that indicates late build 71's should have it. Note that August 71 is when they started producing 72 model year vehicles.

Robert, while I do not have a LT-1 and the CB decal is not on my corvette, I can see where there is evidence of residue from one on mine.

Maybe you will get some more posts from people with late build 71's and narrow this down. Jus t a thought.. have you tried askin on the NCRS forum?

You guessed right, Steve. 18346 to be exact. My car was built on June 1, 1971.

-John

knish71 said:
Steve,

I have, but received mixed opinions. I did receive a private email from a very respected member who said that these decals were on 1970's and early 1971's. Since this was a new emmisions system then, the decal was no longer placed on cars after about 1400. This statement and the NCRS TIM/JG conflicts with what is written in the Vette Vues fact book.

Robert

71 was the first year that all cars came with the ECS. In 70, only CA delivered (NA9) cars had the ECS. It seems logical that the sticker would be discontinued early in 71. Why your car has it is a good question. Anomolies occur. Also, the part number on your decal is different than what is in the NCRS manual. Maybe a typo in the manual or maybe a repro decal?

It's a typo in the TIM/JG. Dr.Rebuild has them for sale with the same part number as mine. I understand that a new version of the 70-72 Judging Guide is being worked on.

Robert

rainman said:
71 was the first year that all cars came with the ECS. In 70, only CA delivered (NA9) cars had the ECS. It seems logical that the sticker would be discontinued early in 71. Why your car has it is a good question. Anomolies occur. Also, the part number on your decal is different than what is in the NCRS manual. Maybe a typo in the manual or maybe a repro decal?

Yellow Decal

Robert I am the second owner of my 71 LT-1 VIN 1914 since 1974 for about 15 years my car was the last known LT-1 with this decal that has changed in the last few years the new TIM/JG will now show and I dont remember the correct VIN but in the 2000s like 24 something. Dr. Dobbins used parts of my original decal to reproduce the new ones that are used today also the car was a New Jersey delivery. Paul NCRS member

Paul, I have only owned mine for about 2 years. My car is at least 95% numbers matching. I find it hard to believe that someone added this decal. As the picture shows, the decal looks pretty old. I was told these decals have been in reproduction for about 15 years, so I suppose it could be.

Did you have a look at the images that I posted? How does it compare to yours? Is the placement, size, etc look like it could be authentic? Would it be possible to view an im,age of yours?

I don't want to remove it on the chance that it is real.

Robert

PJO said:
Robert I am the second owner of my 71 LT-1 VIN 1914 since 1974 for about 15 years my car was the last known LT-1 with this decal that has changed in the last few years the new TIM/JG will now show and I dont remember the correct VIN but in the 2000s like 24 something. Dr. Dobbins used parts of my original decal to reproduce the new ones that are used today also the car was a New Jersey delivery. Paul NCRS member

It looks too new to be an original, in my opinion. With all the heat these engines generate, I wouldn't expect it to look that good after all these years.
-John

Yellow Decal

Robert my decal was replaced after my restoration back in 1997 it at that time was basically unreadable so I used the new replacement given to me by Dr. Dobbins. After looking at your photos I would have to say it is a replacement the original never had the bubbling problem as on yours my first replacement did this also Im on my 2nd even back in 1997 the original was unreadable but was still afixed away from the edges as if new pulled the paint off under it. Robert just looked at your location if this was a Canada delivery this decal may have bin on your car Canadian cars had some differences but the decal I think is still a replacement.Paul

Paul,

Well, I guess someone at sometime must have thought that the car must have come with this decal and bought a repro. I knew going into this thread that more than likely it wasn't original, but hoped somehow it was. Just in case there is some remote chance that it is original, I'm gonna keep it on.

I imported the car into Canada a few years ago from a fellow in Ohio, so this is an American car.

Thanks to all for your expert advice.

Robert

PJO said:
Robert my decal was replaced after my restoration back in 1997 it at that time was basically unreadable so I used the new replacement given to me by Dr. Dobbins. After looking at your photos I would have to say it is a replacement the original never had the bubbling problem as on yours my first replacement did this also Im on my 2nd even back in 1997 the original was unreadable but was still afixed away from the edges as if new pulled the paint off under it. Robert just looked at your location if this was a Canada delivery this decal may have bin on your car Canadian cars had some differences but the decal I think is still a replacement.Paul

Robert,
Who really knows for sure? Leaving it on certainly isn't going to hurt anything! -John

Evaporative decal

My 1971 LT-1 is an early one vin #1253 built Sept 1 1970. It has the yellow decal pasted above the white decal. Both decals are original and are dingy and faded.

steve beech said:
My 1971 LT-1 is an early one vin #1253 built Sept 1 1970. It has the yellow decal pasted above the white decal. Both decals are original and are dingy and faded.

Steve, here's a picture of mine. Please post some pictures when you have a chance. Welcome! - John

101_0109.jpg

Photo

Here is my 71--Ontario Orange, all original

steve beech said:
Here is my 71--Ontario Orange, all original

Awesome! One of my favorite all time colors! You don't see many LT-1's in that color combination. Thanks, Steve.
-John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom