Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Yet another clutch replacement- check the pics!

kevin-design

Corvette
1992 Black convertible LT1
So I'm hoping 3rd time's the charm for my '92 vert. I think the factory dual mass clutch got 100k or so on it, and then i went to the single mass steel flywheel with spec performance clutch. First i had a shop install the clutch which i got from summit racing. Worked for a while before burning out. Since the clutch was warranteed- I wound up having a shop do the replacement- then it burned out again. Giving up one the single mass, i found a deal on a factory clutch/trans combo and installed it myself. Unfortunately, as it was my first attempt at a clutch replacement, i apparently didn't seat the throwout bearing properly, and destroyed that when the fork partially came off. The good news is that i had all the spare parts available to do the job yet again.

This time i went back to the spec clutch since money's tight and its still under warranty. This time i'll be extra careful with that bearing- any tips on getting that thing off/out? its always a huge pain. As is the aluminum channel surrounding the driveshaft.... anyway, to the big question: What could be causing all this clutch burning? This is a daily driver and not a race car. I don't feel any dramatic vibrations like somethings off balance- the clutches just seem to wear super fast! Am i screwed if i don't have the factory dual mass for balance reference? I've heard rumors...
Anyway, check out the wear in these pics- I'm sure the fact that its worn significantly more at the edges means something to some of the experts out there! thanks for any help in any regard!
-kevin
what components are balanced to a particular rotation?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom