Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Yokohama Tires

RV Guy

Corvette
1986 Silver/Gray Coupe
My '86 has stock wheels and I need to replace the tires, 255/50-16. I am highly considering Yokohama AVID V4S. I want to stick with an all season tire. Any experience with this tire?
Thanks

While I don't have any experience with those tires, I just put Kumho Esta ASX tires on my 88 and I've been very pleased with the results. Much better than the Dunlops that I replaced. They were only $117 each at Tire Discount. We have several in the club that run these tires and everyone likes them. May want to check them out as well.

Ron
"Baldie88"

I havn't used the yokohama either, running asx on my 03. One way to check out the tire is to go to tirerack.com and pick a tire, and below the description there is reviews for the tires from customers. Hope ya find what your looking for.

I had Yokahama Avids on my 87 Corvette They handled well and had a good ride but I had bad problems with dry rotting. I replaced them at 4000 miles with Bf Goodrich g-force. I don't drive my Vettes much but always put protectant on my tires and they still rotted badly around the bead.I would google the tires for recalls

I had Yokahama Avids on my 87 Corvette They handled well and had a good ride but I had bad problems with dry rotting. I replaced them at 4000 miles with Bf Goodrich g-force. I don't drive my Vettes much but always put protectant on my tires and they still rotted badly around the bead.I would google the tires for recalls

Thanks, I'll check on that. I had originally thought about going with the BFG g-force but I drive mine in the winter when the weather is clear, or like today when it was 29 degrees when I leff for work. Tire Rack said abosolutely do not use the g-force tires in temperatures below 40 degrees. They said it would be like driving on ice. Any experience with this?

How is the road noise between the two?

Thanks again

I have run the Yokohama AVID V4S on my 86. My car is a daily driver summer or winter and I have had good luck with these tires. Good Mileage, no road noise. Run-out on tires are very good and required almost no weight to balance.

You guys are lucky. My tire dealer told me it was very difficult to get tires for my '85, size is unique, made only for 2 years. So the only tire he could get me were 'Mirada' brand, at $165 ea. Says they are Z rated, but no directional marking on them. I could cross(don't know if I would do that). He was a Firestone dealer. The Goodyear dealer told me almost the same thing, no Goodyears available, and tried to sell me Dunlop at $255 ea. I do live in the Northeast, prices high, so I went with the Mirada brand. Still kept my original Goodyears for any kind of car show event.

I have put about 5,000 miles on mine and love them. They handle well and take the bumps in stride. They are quiet and affordable as well. I would buy them again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom