Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

You Have Really Gotta Be Sh . . . . . . Me!!

Donne Trav

Corvette
1994 Blk/Blk
I just saw
eek6.gif
a 1988 ZR1 on ebay with 1 bid for $200,000.00 and the
"Buy It Now" price of $350,000.00!
eek6.gif
eek6.gif
(Item # is 140663665034)Somebody's joking right!? COME ON MAN!!

I live about 20 miles from that car. As I recall he found it in england and had it shipped here for restoration. I don't remember were it was but he posted pictures of the pieces that still had the prototype numbers and notes on them. If I am correct that he found it in England then I would think it was one of the mules that lotus used to finalize the work they were doing to the design and suspension of the car. In any case having worked for GM in the prototype manual transmission plant in Muncie I had the oportunity to see these cars at the proving ground and from the picture I saw of the protoype parts that were on this car it certainly is consistant with how prototypes were built.

It's real it was a mule, saw the restoration of it by "vettedaddy" on corvetteforum.

Yup, and it is probably worth every penny. I don't think he is really trying to sell it, just a feeler and trying to attract attention to the car. That ZR1 is truly rare and has quite the story.

In better times, when collector cars were the greatest investment outside real estate it might make sense. I'd say it's a risky investment now for the near/medium term. That's a real niche investment.

I just saw
eek6.gif
a 1988 ZR1 on ebay with 1 bid for $200,000.00 and the
"Buy It Now" price of $350,000.00!
eek6.gif
eek6.gif
(Item # is 140663665034)Somebody's joking right!? COME ON MAN!!
Yea I took a double take when I saw it on ebay also, but did some searching and came up with the same info 6Shooter posted, what a great story and not to mention saving a great car!!! :beer

Kinda surprising

Looks like original poster
A. Didn't know regular production ZR-1's started in 1990.
B. Doesn't pay any attention to the collector car market.
C. Hasn't checked the latest sales price on an original 1966 427 COBRA.

Hey it's just another worthless C-4.

In the 87-88 period, GM shipped some vehicles over the the U.K. for Lotus to use during development of the LT5 engine. Most of there were used in situations where engineering/development of the engine required the engine be in a vehicle.

When the ZR-1 development was complete GM ordered all these cars be destroyed then scrapped. They were destroyed by heavy equipment (bulldozers, front-end loaders etc) then sent to a junkyard. Most of the cars were not scrapped and sat in that yard until the mid/late 90s when some enterprising Zroners in the U.K. and in the U.S. found some of the cars which, in spite of being "crushed" by bulldozers and skip loaders, could be "restored", retitled and kept as collector vehicles. In the 90s, this was quite controversial with GM with some people there angry enough to threaten legal action. Eventually the brew-ha-ha blew over and, today, no one really cares about these cars other than really hardcore, 2G ZR-1 enthusaists. Nevertheless, they are an interesting piece of C4 history.

The car on eBay is one of those early ZR-1 development vehicles which was restored.

Is it worth that much?

Only if there's a willing buyer.

I think it is sitting at the Corvette Museum. Lots of photos looks like what is posted here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom